Punisher Truck Won't Start?

imelmo

Reaction score
So I have my truck back now. Had a couple things to button up like replace the fuel pump, put intercooler boots on, replace the ficm relay and a couple other small things. Only thing not installed right now is the coolant reservoir.

Tried to start it. It turns over just fine and will hit but won't stay running. Tried using a little ether and it made it run a little longer but it still won't run on its own.

While it was away all of the oil and all of the fuel was drained from everything though, so is it just going to take a while for everything to get filled back up and do I need to just keep cranking on it? Or should I be checking for anything else.

Also, when it does hit, if I continue to crank on it the truck will not hit again.

Any ideas?

STROKER

Reaction score
Id take the cap off the fuel bowl make sure its getting fuel. Then check icp. Usually when the oil system gets drained once it hits itll keep running, unless maybe its got a lot of air in the system.

MINK

Reaction score
So you got the truck back not running? Air is a posibility if that truck hasnt been ran at all.

strokin6L

Reaction score
How long have you cranked on it danny? Whenever i have pulled injectors and tried starting it.....it takes a while to get it to fire. I usually crank on it for like 10 seconds or so...wait a few seconds and crank for another 10 seconds. It usually takes at least 6 times like that or little more to get it to fire for me.

Buddy of mine was working on an 06 last year and had issues with the truck not starting. Turned out to me the cam sensor. He pulled it out and cleaned it and it fired right up. I guess it wasn't reading....just a thought

imelmo

Reaction score
Id take the cap off the fuel bowl make sure its getting fuel. Then check icp. Usually when the oil system gets drained once it hits itll keep running, unless maybe its got a lot of air in the system.

No fuel bowl on here.

How long have you cranked on it danny? Whenever i have pulled injectors and tried starting it.....it takes a while to get it to fire. I usually crank on it for like 10 seconds or so...wait a few seconds and crank for another 10 seconds. It usually takes at least 6 times like that or little more to get it to fire for me.

Buddy of mine was working on an 06 last year and had issues with the truck not starting. Turned out to me the cam sensor. He pulled it out and cleaned it and it fired right up. I guess it wasn't reading....just a thought

A lot more than 6x's, lol. :D I'd say all total probably around 20-30 minutes now. With the same result every time- hits but won't stay running.

Did you check ficm voltage? That's what it sounds like to me.

Possibly, but I don't have AE or a scanner now. I lost my AE when I got a new laptop and haven't ordered it again yet. Might see if I can get my friend to run over here with his. Or I might burn the thing to the ground. :doh: LOL J/k, I know it's not the truck's fault. :D

strokin6L

Reaction score
No fuel bowl on here.

A lot more than 6x's, lol. :D I'd say all total probably around 20-30 minutes now. With the same result every time- hits but won't stay running.

Possibly, but I don't have AE or a scanner now. I lost my AE when I got a new laptop and haven't ordered it again yet. Might see if I can get my friend to run over here with his. Or I might burn the thing to the ground. :doh: LOL J/k, I know it's not the truck's fault. :D

Danny, just use a mulitmeter to check FICM voltage. You don't need a scanner or AE to do it.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Let's start simple, are you getting smoke out the exhaust or not? If not, then the injectors simply aren't firing, either electrical, or just no high pressure built in the oil system yet...

Mdub707

Reaction score
AE wont tell you too much if the FICM is bad, since it can't read lower than 40V, you'd need to check it with a multimeter.

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
I've had two trucks do this recently. My brothers 03 that we are trying to sell set for a long time on the lot. He called me and said it wouldn't start. It was just hitting on one cylinder and keep cranking. Gave him a spare ficm I had it fired right up. His ficm was dropping to 18volts.

Customers truck I had in the shop for 3 months. Tried to start it when I got it back together and it was doing the same thing. Changed the ficm out. Fired right up.

Last edited by a moderator:

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I have the FICM out of my mom's truck right now, but I know you have an extra around there somewhere...

imelmo

Reaction score
Danny, just use a mulitmeter to check FICM voltage. You don't need a scanner or AE to do it.

AE wont tell you too much if the FICM is bad, since it can't read lower than 40V, you'd need to check it with a multimeter.

I've had two trucks do this recently. My brothers 03 that we are trying to sell set for a long time on the lot. He called me and said it wouldn't start. It was just hitting on one cylinder and keep cranking. Gave him a spare ficm I had it fired right up. His ficm was dropping to 18volts.

Customers truck I had in the shop for 3 months. Tried to start it when I got it back together and it was doing the same thing. Changed the ficm out. Fired right up.

Where do I check on the ficm with a multimeter?

And yes, I'm the least knowledgeable moderator here (and possibly member) if you can't tell. LOL If I haven't done it before, then I don't know it. But I'm trying to start working on the thing myself so I don't get drawn over to the dark side and start messing with my 12 valve since I have zero intimidation about working on it. LOL

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Where do I check on the ficm with a multimeter?

And yes, I'm the least knowledgeable moderator here (and possibly member) if you can't tell. LOL If I haven't done it before, then I don't know it. But I'm trying to start working on the thing myself so I don't get drawn over to the dark side and start messing with my 12 valve since I have zero intimidation about working on it. LOL

Let me know if you need any help... Been doing a bit of 6.0 work lately...

strokin6L

Reaction score
take the little access cover off of the FICM...it has two torx screws holding it on. It all depends on if you have a 4 screw FICM or a 7 screw FICM on how to test it. I'll try to find a link for ya Danny...it'll be easier than explainin it.

imelmo

Reaction score
take the little access cover off of the FICM...it has two torx screws holding it on. It all depends on if you have a 4 screw FICM or a 7 screw FICM on how to test it. I'll try to find a link for ya Danny...it'll be easier than explainin it.

Cover is off already. The one he put on there didn't have one. It is a 4 screw ficm.

strokin6L

Reaction score
For 7-screw FICM's it is the left-most screw in the row of 4 screws. For 4-screw FICM's it is the right-most screw.
Just probe that particular screw and see what the voltage is when keyed on engine off. Then do the same thing when cranking, then do it again when started to see what the voltage is.

Latest posts

Members online