VIDEO: 190s and powermax cold start - 40 degrees

Rob D

Reaction score
http://s1194.photobucket.com/albums...on=view&current=video-2011-12-09-07-51-11.mp4

Video serves two purposes:

First - is this a normal/healthy start - truck is a little shaky for the first couple seconds then evens out.

Second - for anybody wondering what the powermax whistle sounds like keep watching for when the high idle kicks in (around 2:20)

On a side note - how do you get the video to play right here in the thread rather than pasting the link?

imelmo

Reaction score
That's about how I remember mine starting when it was cold. I'm thinking some Rev-X may help you out though. Which reminds me I need to order some more for my truck.

I don't think you can embed a Photobucket vid. It does give you an option for a link with a picture or thumbnail though.

Rob D

Reaction score
Danny,

I have rev-x in it. Along with 5w40 valvoline fully syn. premium blue. Picked it up from Dougs in FL with 15w40 in it and he had added rev-x. As soon as I got back up to MA I changed the oil and added in more rev-x so it had 1500 miles with rev-x and 15w40 to do its job from FL, and another 500 or so with the 5w40 since then.

windrunner408

Reaction score
Yea I think you are straining at a knat. It started right up and sounded rough for like 1 second and that was it. I would say you dont really have anything to worry about. JMO.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
started fine, its missing for sure, at least the video makes it sound like it is

Rob D

Reaction score
I am not straining over anything - just some comforting reassurances is all.

Ya - sorry about the shakey vid it was on my phone this AM spurr of the moment idea.

Rob D

Reaction score
Greg, my bad I completely forgot to call you the other day - will get in touch soon. I am going to head to Sean's shop in the near future maybe we could meet up then and check some stuff out.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
yeah that works, he's right down the road, just let me know

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
doesn't sound to bad...here's mine with the same setup...bout 35 degrees

th_MVI_0861.jpg

it gets MUCH worse when below 30 haha...

Rob D

Reaction score
doesn't sound to bad...here's mine with the same setup...bout 35 degrees

th_MVI_0861.jpg

it gets MUCH worse when below 30 haha...

Yea they sound pretty similar...not looking forward to the colder weather thats for damn sure. Hey how do you get the video to load with the thumbnail like that

strokin6L

Reaction score
my truck has no issues with my 190/75 injectors. Just keep the 5w-40 oil in it...or maybe a 5w-30.

Last edited:

Rob D

Reaction score
my truck has none of that with my 190/75 injectors. What oil do you run? 6L's like thinner oil...preferrably a 5w-40 synthetic or even a little thinner when cold. rev-x or AR9100 oil additive wouldn't hurt either.

I am running valvoline premium blue 5w40 and rev-x...maybe its something with the tuning

Rob D

Reaction score
When its warm out its not like this...do you live in a cold climate? Do you think the ficm update you have could have something to do with it also?

strokin6L

Reaction score
i live in western NY. It's cold. This morning it was in the 20's. My truck starts beautifully each and everytime when it's super cold out with my tuned FICM. I don't think my FICM has anything to do with how good my truck starts. I believe it's because of the thinner oil and the oil additive.

Rob D

Reaction score
i live in western NY. It's cold. This morning it was in the 20's. My truck starts beautifully each and everytime when it's super cold out with my tuned FICM. I don't think my FICM has anything to do with how good my truck starts. I believe it's because of the thinner oil and the oil additive.

I guess I could try going to 5w30 at the next change...only thing different about our setupis is that, and the ficm tuning. Did you have the bigger injectors before upgrading the ficm - if so, and if it still started fine in the cold obv. thats ruled out..

Latest posts

Members online