JL Sub questions

TRX370r

Reaction score
I have 3 JL w6AE's with duel 6 ohm voice coils and a 600.1 kicker amp to run them. I bought these used and in pretty good shape, I was going to not use all 3 subs as I dont have the room in a extra cab. Right now I use the space behind the drivers seat with the small rear seat folded up for me current rockford 10". Should I build a box for 2 of the W6's and be alittle short on air space or should I run just one and really watch the gains on the amp? What would you do?

These are the subs:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/pdfs/10_12W6AE_MAN.pdf

Amp:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_2132_Kicker-KX600.1.html

jdc753

Reaction score
By the specs I am pretty sure 2 of those subs would definitely handle that amp, but I think the amp would start going into protection since the pair would be showing it a 1.5ohm load and the amp is only stable to 2ohms. With impedence rise you might be safe running the pair and kicker amps are stout but I don't know too many that are 1ohm stable (ZX2500.1 is the only that comes to mind and it is rated fro 2ohm only)

Too small of a sealed box will give you a punchy sound lacking in the low end extension. This is of course depending on just how "small" the airspace would be for the pair.

For a sinlge sub you would definitely be pushing the limits of the sub, most likely doable but you'll have to maintain some control in the power application (think overfueled diesel towing) Also the box size actually factors into the power handling of the sub as well. A smaller box will generally handle more power until you reach the point of the thermal limits of the sub.

So single sub wired to 3ohms will be seeing 450w RMS vs its 300w rating. This I think would be fine, you can keep the gain a bit conservative to tone back the power in this case.

Pair of subs wired to 1.5ohm would be seeing approximately 350-400w per sub but the amp will be pushing its limits. I believe at 1ohm nominal it will jump straight to protection at any normal listening volume but you JUST might be able to make it work at 1.5ohm.

I guess to give a straight direct answer I think I would go for a single sub setup in a box just a touch small like 0.6 vs their 0.625 recommended.

Last edited:

TRX370r

Reaction score
I guess Im going to use one 12 and may use a one of the prefab boxes that are 1.2 c.f.

Im glad you looked I would have never guessed a class D wouldn't have worked at 1.5 ohm.

jdc753

Reaction score
Yea its one of the quirks with kicker amps, I haven't checked the current line up but I know 90% of their amps are rated only down to 2ohm. some guys had luck running the big boy 2500.1 at 1ohm but even then it was a bit iffy.

TRX370r

Reaction score
Well I bought a 1.2 cubic foot box and wired a single to 12 JL to 3 ohm. If I turn the volume to any place over 1/2 way my amp go into a protect mode. It doesnt have to be hot or anything its like if u turn it up too fast it would do it aswell but if I shut it off and turn it back on it will come back on. I was running my 4 ohm 10" rockford off of one side of my 4 channel amp bridged. It would run hot and if you listened to it cranked for over a hour it would thermal stut down and come back on after a cool down period. Im not sure what is going on but it really seem as if this amp doesnt like being bridged for a sub. I guess Im going to have to run the kicker 600.1 for my sub, I was just trying to get away with 1 amp but its a no go. Here are my 4 channel amp specs if you have any ideas.

Hifonics Olympus
MSRP $899usd
110x4@4ohm
180x4@2ohm
360x2@4ohm bridged
0.02% THD
114dB S/N A-WTD
10-32kHz range
-Direct connect
-Built-in stereo 2-way electronic corssover
-Switchable mono/stereo bass
-Crossover frequency fully variable from 50Hz-5Khz