Problems with my truck

jwfrauts

Reaction score
I have been battling my truck since around March. It had stock injectors in it and would smoke very bad fuel smoke until it warmed up. I put some 190cc injectors in it and it cleared up for around 1000 miles. I have changed them 3 times now, replaced the ficm with a 58v, replaced the ipr, icp, oil rails, stand pipes, installed an oil bypass filter, and it is getting worse. It still hazes and stumbles after it warms up now. I took it to Powerstroke Magic and he could not figure it out either because all of the pressures and everything looks good. I blew the lpop up last year and put a new one it in. Would there be anyway that a piece maybe locked causing the hpop to suck air. I have checked the fuel and no air in it and it is running around 65psi of pressure. The smoke is fuel smoke and not water or oil. It will burn your eyes because it is so rich. The truck is not using any oil or water and there is not any fuel in the water or water in the oil. Here is a youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7LX7Bgaa24&feature=player_profilepage

jwfrauts

Reaction score
After it dies I can start it back up and it will run for a few seconds and then do the same thing and giving it throttle will not do any good because it will not take it. When it starts messing up so bad the icp goes up to around 1500 and it stays around 700 before the smoke changes color. Also, when I do get it to warm up the egt are very high. Crusing at 60 they are around 950 to 1000 and it idles at 700 to 750.

MorganY

Reaction score
Who's tuning? Just curious. Do these symptoms sound like maybe compression entering the fuel from a bad injector cup or sealing rings? I would ask CTCDEEZUL I'm pretty sure he's a tech

jwfrauts

Reaction score
I done the balloon test on the fuel lines and they did not blow up any. The copper washers looked good when I pulled the injectors and if it was the injector cups wouldn't there be fuel in the water? I will pull the injectors again to check all of them but it has done it with 4 separate sets including the stock ones. Could it be a cracked head?

jwfrauts

Reaction score
The video is with stock tuning. At first it would run like this with stock tuning but would run fine with ID extreme race. Now it runs the same with stock, ID, Vivian, Cale, and Doug's tunes.

Wackerjr

Reaction score
Pull the EGR solenoid on the front of the intake... I have seen pieces of carbon stuck in them and the same thing happens.... pull and clean (replace prefferred) and problem solved.

MorganY

Reaction score
I done the balloon test on the fuel lines and they did not blow up any. The copper washers looked good when I pulled the injectors and if it was the injector cups wouldn't there be fuel in the water? I will pull the injectors again to check all of them but it has done it with 4 separate sets including the stock ones. Could it be a cracked head?

Just checking! Thought id ask! As for the heads, the best way to find out would be pulling them lol. But doubtful they are cracked

Last edited:

Irontx

Reaction score
That's a whole lot worse than it was man!!!!!! Did you ever do an actual compression test??? Damn Jeff.....

STROKER

Reaction score
It almost seems like a injector issue cracked tip, compression washer failure or o ring tore, but since youve pulled them 3 times it must not be.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Jeff...unplug the injectors one at a time while it's running. It'll run like crap but you'll be able to isolate the screwed up hole when the smoke stops At least you'll know where to focus. If it never clears up you'll know to start looking past injectors, washers and cups.
It's a redneck test...but it works.

jwfrauts

Reaction score
It is running around 63 lbs of fuel pressure. Richard I will try that today.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
theres nothing redneck about it! IDS does the same thing but electronically!

lubeowner

Reaction score
Ok not to sound like a smart ass but here is what I have learned over the years. Everything is simple. Sometimes we get to caught up in all the big things that "might" have gone wrong that we don't check the simplest things or we run into a "thought I did" or "thought he did." Or we rushed through the simple tests and the outcomes were tainted for whatever reason and we didn't even notice what a little thing we over looked.

Now as I say this don't take this the wrong what but there is a simple answer to your problem. So simple that you are over looking it and moving on to the hpo system and that has probably tainted your testing.

I have seen some pretty stupid things on some of the truck brought to me and I sometimes forget to keep it simple. 99% of the time it always comes back to the most basic things.

Since you are certain this is fuel smoke....

The simple answer is you are getting too much fuel into a cylinder or a couple cylinders. So there is no need to look at anything other then the fuel system. Not the HPO system, tuning or anything other then fuel. Also turning off or unplugging an injector is going to get you no where in testing as you will still be getting the extra fuel. So those tests are pointless. You either need to do a cylinder contribution test. These can only be done with a Ford IDS, Snap-on scanner with update 11.2 or newer and Auto ingenuity. If you are using a Matco or OTC Scanner or the Snap-on has a older version then you are out of luck.

So to start with, are you running a cylinder contribution balance test once you get the truck started? If you had this issue should be very easily diagnosed to one cylinder or one head.

So remember to keep it simple. All this fuel can only be getting into the cylinder by one of two ways, through the injector or around the injector. Now through the injector should have been ruled out by changing the three sets of injectors. The only way through an injector is with a bad injector. Are you certain there is no possible way all three of these sets never had the same injectors in the batch? Like did you replace with a 100% different set or did you pull them send them out, have them tested got them back and put them in? There is most commonly only one way to get fuel through an injector and that is with a leaky nozzle. There is a couple others that I have seen and I will address them later as the will show up as an around the injector problem.

If the injectors are 100% ruled out as bad, then the fuel has to be getting into the cylinder buy going around the cylinder. This can only happen by a bad injector install or a bad head. Also it needs to be understood that if 65 psi fuel can get in then 2000 psi combustion can get out. So if you are certain that fuel is not going through an injector, then it has to be going around it. If this is the case you should be able to test that combustion is coming out. I know you said you did the balloon test but maybe you did something wrong?

It is this simple, either you have a bad injector or you have fuel getting in around the injector. Either should be tested for with a cylinder contribution balance test to obtain a starting point. If you have one high contribution cylinder and the rest are all good and that is where it stays then you have a through injector problem. Also I have seen many times that one high contribution will bring the cylinders on each side of it up on the scanner as well. If the contribution starts at one or two cylinders then gradually picks up more then it is a around the injector issue.

Now things I have seen that fit into the around the injector that I found wierd.
Truck with less then 500 miles on it since Ford put in 5 new injectors. Could watch the balance test and it showed one cylinder low then a second then I would lose the whole bank, then start seeing the other side getting off and the truck would die. Pulled the upper fuel bowl to find it was getting air into the fuel system as the level was very low. So I pulled the center plug out that goes up into the filter, if you don't do this then the little plunger will come up and you can't see the compression coming back. So jump the starter to crank it over and sure enough I get little puffs out of that bank. So I pull out the injector that was the first to contribution balance off. Looks perfect. Not one trace of the combustion going through it anywhere. So I figure it must not be this injector so I pull the other 3. All look perfect as well. Now I feel stumped. So I put if back together but I moved the suspect injector to a different hole. Start the truck problem now starts in the whole I moved it to. So I pull that injector again and put in a new one. Problem gone.

Another truck had new injectors put in himself and the place that he got his injectors rebuilt from put a spool valves on backwards. Due to the little alignment notch the injector would not go in all the ways. The tilted injector then didn't seat right in the cup and ruined the cup.

Another truck we put some brand new heads on it and for some reason the injector cup holes seemed to be tighter then they should be and that didn't let the injectors seat properly. What we noticed on that was when we tried to pull the injectors out to recheck, some did not pull up with the hold down as they normally would. Thought it was our fault as an install error. After about 2 months of dealing with this I got anther set of heads and put on his truck and the problem was gone.

I also had a truck that had the injector body not tightened all the way and it way getting combustion up through the injector around the nozzle and the body. Didn't burn any o-rings and the copper gaskets looked perfect.

Anyways, fuel is either getting in through or around an injector. Have to figure that our first.

Last edited:

jwfrauts

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply lubeowner. All 8 injectors have been pulled and were send back to the vendor to be checked out. #1 didn't pull out with the injector hold down like the rest of them, I had to pop it out. All of the washers and o-rings looked good again. I am going to clean the injector cups real good and replace the fuel regulator on the bowl because it acts like it is relieving too much. I can turn the adII down to 40 psi and I can still hear the regulator on the fuel bowl bypassing. I took it to a shop and they told me that #2 and #5 where down 5% to 10% so that maybe the 1 or 2 that is causing all of this.

Latest posts

Members online