DPF Back Exhaust VIDEO

17BLKplat

Reaction score
Good video! I'm getting ready to throw mine on soon. I have a full delete pipe, but I'm waiting for Eric's full tunes, I'll just be running the DPF back portion for now.

EpicCowlick

Reaction score
Nice job man. Did you have someone else holding the video?

I just hold the camera myself. In the first 20 seconds you can see three different cameras; one in my hand and one on each of the bed rails. When I'm under the truck, I use the clamps on the GoPro in my hand :)11 in the video) and attach it to something underneath. Then I copy the raw video files to the PC for editing. It's really easy. Most of what I do is family stuff but it's fun to share something on the truck.

Jesse@MBRP

Reaction score
I'd be interested to know what the tailpipe temperature is during regen. I didn't see any cold air recirculation vents other than on the tip. Don't suppose you have an infared thermometer you could check it with. I'm curious is all, not looking to bash another brand.

EpicCowlick

Reaction score
I do have an infrared thermometer that I can try out. I'll have to time it to jump out of the truck just as a regen is in full swing. There are vent holes though that you missed. Notice when I install the tip there are several inch-sized holes cut in the angled part of the tip. Those holes will allow fresh air to be pulled into the tip from the back side and mixed with the exhaust. They figured that one out.

Jesse@MBRP

Reaction score
I do have an infrared thermometer that I can try out. I'll have to time it to jump out of the truck just as a regen is in full swing. There are vent holes though that you missed. Notice when I install the tip there are several inch-sized holes cut in the angled part of the tip. Those holes will allow fresh air to be pulled into the tip from the back side and mixed with the exhaust. They figured that one out.

Right on. I just missed them. You should be good then.

silverbullet4x4

Reaction score
Could you possibly get some more rev videos in addition to drive by and in cab. I'm interested to see how much of a sound difference it makes over stock dpf back exhaust. Looks killer tho. :thumbup:

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
Not to speculate, but I would imagine that there isn't much more sound than stock as the Urea/DOC/DPF is the biggest noise killer there. It would be great to hear it though, for comparison sake. I still say that it looks like it should from the factory!

Chris

silverbullet4x4

Reaction score
Not to speculate, but I would imagine that there isn't much more sound than stock as the Urea/DOC/DPF is the biggest noise killer there. It would be great to hear it though, for comparison sake. I still say that it looks like it should from the factory!

Chris

That's kinda what i figured i was just curious.

EpicCowlick

Reaction score
Could you possibly get some more rev videos in addition to drive by and in cab. I'm interested to see how much of a sound difference it makes over stock dpf back exhaust. Looks killer tho. :thumbup:

My take on the sound change is that there is very little difference when the truck is idling. The new exhaust is a little lower, deeper sound compared to the nearly silent OEM exhaust. At WOT, however, it's a completely different story. The OEM exhaust has a high pressure compressed air sound that is really obnoxious/embarrassing. The Dynomax has completely removed that. I wasn't expecting this but it is very nice not to hear that PSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHSHS screaming out the back end going up an on ramp. The new exhaust is not loud at WOT, just a notch up from idle sound. Nice.

EpicCowlick

Reaction score
As to the temperatures, I posted this on another forum.

I just pulled into the garage after nearly completing a regen. It started when I was 500 feet from the house (as usual) so I drove an extra 10 minutes up to the highway and back to give it time to nearly complete. I wanted to take the temps on the new exhaust parts to see how hot everything is. So I grabbed my infrared thermometer out of the center console and went around the back of the truck only to find the batteries dead! This is where I jog into the house to get a new battery, tripping up the stairs and slamming my sorry face into the still locked door. My wife and kids, hearing the commotion in the garage, opened the door to find me with a bloody nose, crushed Big Gulp cup and soaked shirt and pants. They're asking me what happened and I'm yelling, Get a battery! Get a new 9V battery! They ignore me (as usual) and I jog dripping Diet Mountain Dew through the house, to the office where the battery supply is. I find a new battery but I can't get the cover off the thermometer because my left hand is holding my nose and my right hand is too slippery from the Diet Mountain Dew. So I decide to just do a long inhale (hoping I can breathe in long enough to use my left hand) and switch the battery. I notice my middle daughter with her android phone now taking pictures saying, "This is so cool." I jog back to the garage and forget the Diet Mountain Dew soaked stairs and, you guessed it, ended up on a neat VCT tile floor in a heap. Fortunately there are only four stairs so the amount of energy I had picked up on the way down was less than that needed to break any bones. At this point, my family showed some genuine concern for a few seconds until I got up and limped over to the back of the truck.

Ok, I just wanted you guys to know my dedication to the forum to provide good, accurate temperature data on the new exhaust.

External DPF temp - 190 degrees
External straight Dynomax spacer tube - 190 degrees
External tube temp just behind the rear tire - 178 degrees
External stainless steel tip temp - 78 degrees on forward side 102 degrees on the back side. (I think the polished surface did not allow a proper reading because it was too hot to touch)
Internal temperature of the tip - 280 degrees
Internal temp of the 5 inch tube inside of the tip - 380 degrees.

So clearly the outside exhaust tube walls are a couple hundred degrees cooler than the inside of the tube. This is likely due to the cold outside temperatures to start with and the normal cooling that happens when air is passing over it.

So there you have it. I never did measure the temps on the OEM exhaust so I have no comparison. Someone else needs to do that but I recommend you check the battery in your thermometer before you start

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
You should have included the pics from your daughters phone, along with carnage pic/videos. At ant rate I guess its a good idea not to touch anything behind the DPF for a while, and don't park in any tall grass. Other than looks and sound, is there any power or fuel mileage gains to be had from this?

Latest posts

Members online