Post db reading from project shut up

thuglike

Reaction score
I recorded my post project readings today:

Let's recap..before I started I recorded db readings at highway speeds in my truck. I hit a high of 78 but it mainly stayed in the 65-75 range...it was loud in there.

Today, after Project shut up was finished I recorded a high reading of 67db with the meter staying in the 60-65db range.

Let me tell you the differance is nothing short of amazing. Here is what I noticed on my 100 mi round trip to Philly and back:

Highway noises....GONE

Wind and Rain noises...GONE

Exhaust drone...GONE

Other vehicle nosies...GONE

My 42r...CAN BARELY HEAR IT

All those little annoying rattles and noises........GONE

Radio...clear and sounding the best I've ever owned!!!

All I hear is engine noise and that was cut in 1/2. Once the truck hits OD and settles in..it is more than 1/2 as quiet as before. I actually had a phone conversation in it without screaming and could hear the other party clearly.

IT WAS WORTH EVERY SECOND OF MY TIME AND MONEY!!!!!! I LOVE it!!!

I never thought I could get it that quiet in the cab.
There was another benefit....The cab feels solid...like one piece I really like how it feels driving it. This is the first time the cab felt wrapped around me, it's tight and solid, like a good woman should be!!!!!

So here is what was done:

1) Cab completely gutted (except dash)

1a) Filler foam was used on every void in the truck....EVERY VOID

2) Every square inch of sheet metal was covered with FatMat 50mil peel-n-stick (doors were done inside and out)

3) Floor was hit with a second layer of the FatMat floor covering. This is a
1/4" thick sound deadening material (like ensolite)

4) I used Raamaudio peel-n-stick Ensolite over the FatMat..firewall got 2 layers.

5) I coated (2x) the entire underbelly of the cab with 3M Rubberized Undercoating.

I reused the OEM carpet but stripped more jute off the new carpet..I didn't use the new crpet...the fit sucked.

All in all I have around 20 hrs into the project and a cost of $676.00.

If you guys have any specific questions ...fire away.

This is a must do if your tired of a loud cab.

Keep this in mind....Every 3db's you lose is like cutting the noise you actually hear in half. I hope that put's my gains (or loses in this case) in perspective.

I'm very happy with the outcome!!!!!!

jdc753

Reaction score
absolutely awesome Jason!!

Must feel like a new truck now. Amazing the difference it makes in opening and closing the doors too, feels like a luxury car how solid they close.

thuglike

Reaction score
It's funny you mention that...the doors are heavy as hell now and it takes a good slam to get it closed.

The real nice thing is before hand there was always some slop in the doors when they were closed. Now when they are shut there isn't a mm of movement.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
No issues getting any of the trim pieces to fit back in after adding all the extra thickness to everything?

When you filled the voids with foam, did you leave a space for removal of the bolts that hold the cab down?

You say foam filler but I was hoping you could be a lil more specific? I looked at some of the foam fillers at the hardware store awhile back when thinking about this and there seems to be a few different types with different effects from each.

I plan to do something like this for my 450 as it it WAY louder than my 350 so sorry for all the questions. Got a entire new interior going in soon and thinking it might be worth it to wait an extra couple weeks to do this while cab is apart.

thuglike

Reaction score
No issues getting any of the trim pieces to fit back in after adding all the extra thickness to everything? A little, but not bad

When you filled the voids with foam, did you leave a space for removal of the bolts that hold the cab down?No a B tank gets those bolts exposed fast. The foam I used will melt away rather than burn.

You say foam filler but I was hoping you could be a lil more specific? I looked at some of the foam fillers at the hardware store awhile back when thinking about this and there seems to be a few different types with different effects from each.I used Hilti cf 810 foam. You need it's dispenser so it's a little more expensive but it allows you to fully control the rate of expansion

I plan to do something like this for my 450 as it it WAY louder than my 350 so sorry for all the questions. It's not a problem at all...if I can help, I will. If not..I'll shut up. Got a entire new interior going in soon and thinking it might be worth it to wait an extra couple weeks to do this while cab is apart.It's well worth it!!!!! do it.

Answers in bold

jdc753

Reaction score
It's funny you mention that...the doors are heavy as hell now and it takes a good slam to get it closed.

The real nice thing is before hand there was always some slop in the doors when they were closed. Now when they are shut there isn't a mm of movement.

No more opening the door on the upside of a slope and just letting it hit you as you reach for something in the truck :doh: LOL

Thats awesome having no movement on them, definitely a huge plus.

You say foam filler but I was hoping you could be a lil more specific? I looked at some of the foam fillers at the hardware store awhile back when thinking about this and there seems to be a few different types with different effects from each.

You can use the Great Stuff products normally found at the hardware store, just need to be a little bit more careful with them and leave room for expansion. You want to fill maybe half the cavity with the foam then allow it to expand, make sure to form off most of the holes with some tape so you don't have a total mess to clean up and keep an eye on it to keep from messing up other spots.

This is in a cummins but gives you an idea of how we filled the voids over the doors. Covered most of the holes with tape and left some room to get the nozzle in along the way, then carefully pumped some foam in and allowed it to work.

IMG_0061.jpg

bluedge8

Reaction score
Good to Hear, I am surprised you got it that quiet, that is impressive. and for all of the material you used I thought your bill would be higher. Just think, my old work van was hovering right at 78db's :eek:

thuglike

Reaction score
I think that was the last day we didn't get rain.

The rest of the project was done under a tent. Weather is/was brutal.

Good thing I love my rig

389sixpack

Reaction score
The project sounds great - I have yet to sit in it to hear - or not hear the difference. Did you do the weather strip mod with the tygon tubing also?

Latest posts

Members online