05+ Mirror covers

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
Looking for some new mirror covers for my SD and everything on ebay is chrome. I want to go back white, so my question is, are they hard or worth painting over the chrome?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Will chrome covers snap over my mirrors on my 2000? Or should I just upgrade to the 05+ mirrors with the turn signals.

Im the odd man out who doesnt want the square 08 mirrors on my 1st gen superduty. Where's a good place to find some power 05's? LMC again?

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
Yea lmc truck didn't seem to badly priced. I just didn't want chrome, I wanted white. My main question is if anyone thought it would work to reprint the chrome ones or paint over the chrome.

dirtboy25

Reaction score
Painting over the chrome won't last. You won't get the chrome off and the paint won't stick regardless what you do.

That's assuming it's the same type of chrome found on grills.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
Will chrome covers snap over my mirrors on my 2000? Or should I just upgrade to the 05+ mirrors with the turn signals.

Im the odd man out who doesnt want the square 08 mirrors on my 1st gen superduty. Where's a good place to find some power 05's? LMC again?

They make chrome covers for 99-03 mirrors
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
They make chrome covers for 99-03 mirrors
Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

And they're ugly as hell

I havent seen em. I have seen another black truck that was an 06 that had them and it looked good. My truck is black. I already painted my mirrors black. I.....cant......tell......the.....difference other than they are shiny now. I want some contrast. My truck is black with anything that was grey has been painted black. All my lights are clear.

Gonna run black hostages because everybody around here runs xd's. Ive not seen black fuels on anything around here. Chrome wouldnt survive around here or Id do that.

Im not into the all black, or all white look anymore. Its played out.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Jesus! I looked at those...:puke:

Those dont look anything like the ones I saw on an 06 lariat. Maybe Ill just go to ford and order the mirrors like I did with my headlights.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Is there any way to order just the paintable covers or white ones?

call the parts counter...or better yet...go to the sunrise ford section on here and ask...you'll know tonight most likely if you can just get the cover. Id imagine you can get just the cover. I dont really see why that plasti-chrome couldnt be sanded down, cleaned, and then hit with self-etching primer and painted. :shrug:

dirtboy25

Reaction score
I dont really see why that plasti-chrome couldnt be sanded down, cleaned, and then hit with self-etching primer and painted. :shrug:

The "plasti-chrome" is a mu***er to get off. Sand all you want you're not going to get anywhere. After about an hour the most you'll do is dull the surface and maybe make a few scratches.

About the only way to get it off is with razor blades and propane torches and even then it is very time consuming and you run the risk of melting the plastic all to hell if you're not careful enough.

You can paint over plastic chrome, I know, I've seen me do it. But it won't last especially in places like a grill or tow mirrors that catch a lot of debris. After a few power washes and a few months the paint will start to flake off.

TyCorr

Reaction score
I believe you but hells bells hitting it with a orbital sander and some varying grades wont take the shti off? Hell the chrome on the grills you can score and peel off. Ive done that before. If the stuff on the mirrors is the same Id use that approach. Ive only dont that on a grill so I cant say for certain on the mirror cover.

Do those covers just pop off the mirror? The covers that came on stock superduties like the 05+ are what Im referring to.

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
I believe you but hells bells hitting it with a orbital sander and some varying grades wont take the shti off? Hell the chrome on the grills you can score and peel off. Ive done that before. If the stuff on the mirrors is the same Id use that approach. Ive only dont that on a grill so I cant say for certain on the mirror cover.

Do those covers just pop off the mirror? The covers that came on stock superduties like the 05+ are what Im referring to.

Ya the mirrors on the 05+ have tabs for removal. That's my issue, I guess I broke some of the tabs. Sunrise Ford said basically $300 for the set of paintable mirror covers. That's the reason I asked about the chrome ones. Saw them on eBay for $100 roughly for both.

TyCorr

Reaction score
If the tabs are already broke, hell, Id tear em off, paint em, whatever...they're already busted. Cant make em work, Id order the new ones then.

Latest posts

Members online