Suggestions needed for rebuild #2!!!!!!

F350Power

Reaction score
I bought a 2007 F-350 6.0L Powerstroke (very disappointed so far) and had it bombproofed (or so I thought I did). ARP Studs, EGR Delete, Black Onyx Head Gasket, Oil Cooler, Blue Fuel Spring, Coolant Filter, Banks Intake and Exhaust, Removed Cat, SCT Extreme Tuner with Performane Tune from Innovative Diesel, and I am sure I missed a couple things here along the way! I have taken every step I can think of to bombproof this bastard.

Long story short, 4 months later, head gasket blew! F*&K Me!

Mechanic has it down again. I advised him to use Ford OEM Head Gaskets this time. I am stuck between H-11 and ARP on studs. Putting new FICM on it since it started hard and severe lag at takeoff (scared to pull across highway because a semi may kill me!). Replacing injectors with factory (is this the right move?) and putting new Ford OEM Turbo on it to try and get it to spool up quicker.

I have a limited amount of time to make any changes to the work order as my mechanic is tearing it down as I type.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have a fortune in this hunk of iron and would really like to pay once and cry once this time!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fordboy11

Reaction score
Yea those black onyx was your first mistake! And your Doing fine get a little bigger sticks like 175cc /75% ifyou tow heavy or some 190's if not I wouldn't piss my money away on buying a new oem turbo. Either tear yours apart and clean it or buy a powermax you do fine. Good luck man

DMAX

Reaction score
Have him do the updated STC fitting, dummy plugs, and standpipes. I would use ARP's and good call with stock gaskets make sure they properly prep the head, and magnaflux both heads. Did they test the FICM to verify that it was bad? check voltage or anything? How many miles are on the truck? You may be able to get away with cleaning up the turbo, grinding the unison ring and the vanes down a bit!

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Good call going with oem head gasket. Where the heads checked the first time? Either way I would have a machine shop check the heads for flatness and cracks. Also it seems like you are just throwing parts at it. Why do you think it needs new injectors and turbo?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

SIX_OHH

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
It doesnt matter how well you do all this mess. They can and will still blow to heck

vcassens

Reaction score
Another vote for bigger injectors and powermax if you are dead set on replacing them but more than likely if you clean the turbo you will get rid of the lag

Snake

Reaction score
ARP studs will be plenty, provided they're installed correctly and your heads are flat.

As mentioned, OEM gaskets instead of the Black Onyx.

If you've already decided to replace the injectors and aren't going bigger, the Ford injectors are a good choice.

F350Power

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch guys....I think! Not really sure what exactly to do here. No question on head gaskets. Everything I have read leads me to trust OEM on this one.

Injectors may be Ok, not sure. I just figured that now is the time to do it since it is down. Ridiculously expensive though-around $300.00 per injector installed-$2400.00 It only has 70,000 miles on it. Am I making a mistake there?

Reason for replacing turbo is a severe lag at takeoff (From a dead stop). I can mash the pedal to the floor and it just does not move for about 2-3 seconds. Unison ring was burred up pretty good and he replaced it last time. Is there anything else that could cause turbo not to spool up quicker?

FICM has not been tested. What can I ask him to check on it instead of just replacing it for $800.00?

I am just at wits end here. I really want this thing to run good and be a reliable truck! Maybe I should slap it back together and make it someone elses problem!

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Ok you need to take things one at a time before you just throw money at it. At 70k I would not replace injectors just because especially without testing them. The ficm you check voltage either with a scan tool or with a metter accross 2 bolts. I will find you a writeup in a min. And as far as the turbo goes I would just clean it, replace unsion ring if needed and ensure the vgt solenoid is functioning properly.

F350Power

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch! I decided to skip the injectors, although mechanic disagrees. He says he has replaced a lot of injectors on 6.0L's, while still under warranty. I told him I am willing to roll the dice for now and try some Sea Foam in fuel for now. Hope I do not kick myself in the ass. LOL!

I told him to check voltage on FICM and make sure it reads >46V. If not, replace it.

Also, I asked him to take a good look at stock turbo and if any question, replace it. Otherwise just grind it down and clean it up good.

I am having him take heads to machine shop for Magnafluxing this time.

Hope I made the right decisions...who knows. I will keep you all posted here!

Any other suggestions are welcome. I really want this thing to be right. If not, I will move it down the road and look for a 6.4 or 6.7L. Very frustrating!

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
It doesnt matter how well you do all this mess. They can and will still blow to heck

its better to shut your mouth and appear stupid,then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

your response is incorrect,whether it be from personal experience or otherwise.
with the proper technique and materials,these engines are fine.

F350Power

Reaction score
Always someone around to piss on your parade I guess. I would like to believe that this motor will be good to go this time. Lots of money riding on it!

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Always someone around to piss on your parade I guess. I would like to believe that this motor will be good to go this time. Lots of money riding on it!

use the correct materials and you will be fine.

ZacPSD60

Reaction score
Go back for Ford Factory Gaskets and a Powermax and you'll be plenty happy. Technically yes, any motor can fail at anytime with any mods or none at all, but by taking the steps that you have and keeping up with your maintenance SERIOUSLY decreases the chance of that happening.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
gaskets won't make a damn bit of difference if the heads are flat. make sure they spec em out and machine them if needed otherwise you'll blow em again.

DMAX

Reaction score
If there is any reasonable doubt on your injectors, or for some reason something made you think they were no good. I would deffinatly get them flow tested before replacing them!

F350Power

Reaction score
Great advice on the flow testing. Hope my mechanic knows about that. He always seems to want to replace everything first. What is proper procedure for flow test? Thanks.

Reaction score
ive done dozens of stud jobs at work,prep the block properly,have the heads checked and machined properly,use oem gaskets,torque the studs properlly(i prefer arp's) and you should never have a headgasket issue again.as for the other stuff.do the updated plugs,stc,standpipes,check ficm voltage nad address it from there.

Latest posts

Members online