Going to need a new clutch soon....suggestions?

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Alright, so my factory clutch just ticked over 112k the yesterday, it was stock tuned until 106k, since then it has been run every day with Matt's SRL...hard I might add. Anyway, last night I needed to hook up to a gooseneck and haul a fellow member's broken down excursion to a buddies house so we could try and diagnose and fix it today...so I loaded up my 8k tow and off we went. On the way out, pulling some hills at 75 the truck started to shudder I guess would be the best way to describe it, I got concerned so I loaded the stock file back on, we got loaded up and headed back...still shuddered on the hills just not as bad. This is leading me to believe the clutch is fed up with a hot tune and my right foot...I need a clutch that will be good for towing and daily driving, hp plans are 155s with nozzles at some point and a new shiny thing that makes boost...500hp will be on the top end of what I think it will end up being so as long as long as I can get a clutch around there I'll be happy. What do y'all recommend, trying not to break the bank here either, but I do want good quality...so nobody say OE clutch LOL

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
Check out the south bend clutches. They make several models, and will stand 500hp without even a whimper. Pm me, it worstenemy, and we can get you taken care of.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
Valair is nice but they are a little "louder" than a southbend and the price isnt really that different. South bend is a better unit in my opinion because of that. But i can get both and centerforce if you need one.

e99f2506sp

Reaction score
I've heard good things about both and will probably end up going with whoever gives me the best deal when the time comes for a new one since they are both good. I have been leaning towards the southbend though since I've heard good things about them for longer.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
I've heard good things about both and will probably end up going with whoever gives me the best deal when the time comes for a new one since they are both good. I have been leaning towards the southbend though since I've heard good things about them for longer.

Jared how the hell is yours still living? it's been dying for a long damn time hasn't it...I think I'll go with SB honestly, I've heard great things about their CS and of course their clutches...I would like to find one that will hold that power level and can tow heavy too...unfortunately I'm finding that I will probably have to compromise, I need to be able to reliably tow 20k# and be able to hold 450hp at least unloaded...decisions, decisions...

e99f2506sp

Reaction score
Jared how the hell is yours still living? it's been dying for a long damn time hasn't it...I think I'll go with SB honestly, I've heard great things about their CS and of course their clutches...I would like to find one that will hold that power level and can tow heavy too...unfortunately I'm finding that I will probably have to compromise, I need to be able to reliably tow 20k# and be able to hold 450hp at least unloaded...decisions, decisions...

Honestly, I have no idea. Shes goes through phases. Sometimes she lets me know shes on her last legs, then for a while shes fine.

Its only a matter of time, its got nearly 110k on it now. I just baby her and she keeps on tickin.

ford_trck

Reaction score
I have dealt with Valair clutches in Semi's and never heard a good thing about them. I have a South Bend in my pickup truck and I can't complain. 550 HP single disk Clutch was installed in 2007 and has been great! 2 years ago my rear main was leaking. 1 gallon of oil every 100 miles (I know it's a lot but I couldn't down the truck in the winter) Clutch was soaked with oil and kept going. I installed new injectors, turbo, fuel system and put the clutch back in after soaking it in solvent and next year I will finally be replacing it due to it slipping. I drive my truck HARD and this has been the best clutch I have ever had in ANY vehicle I have had.

Now I would with out a doubt look into a dual disk clutch. My big single is very grabby when towing heavy, granny low comes in handy. Either way I would call South Bend and talk to them. Be honest in what you want to do and they will tell you which one would be best for you. I have called them about my next clutch and told them what I have done to the truck and how much farther I wish to go, I also told him what I do to the truck 3rd gear whole shots, 4 high launching off the red line and I have no doubt that they told me the best clutch for what I want to do.

Sorry this is long but I have nothing bad to say about SBC from my experiance

stroker2

Reaction score
I have a valair clutch. No complaints what so ever. It has a little noise at about 850-900rpm range but otherwise its quiet. Probably only have about 7k on it. I have abused it some and its held up just fine

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.