FICM Advice????

windrunner408

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, my FICM is in great shape at least for now. It holds 48.0-49.0v all day long with Key On Engine Off, Cranking the truck, and while the truck is running.

I am wondering though if it would be better to swap to a 58v tuned (not sure whose tune) FICM or just tune mine with a PHP tuner. I dont really want to pull the FICM to send to them, I would rather wait on the remote programmer for theirs but I am curious as to which route I should look to spend the money in and what is going to get me the best performance.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
If you have the money, the 58v would be a nice option, my buddies truck starts like its nothing with the 58v and no tune.

But you would be equally as satisfied with flashing yours with any of the tuners flashes.

I will be going with the tuned 58v just because it gets COLD here in CT from January-March

windrunner408

Reaction score
Yea that is what I am thinking. I think I will just drop the coin for the 58v FICM and send it to PHP to be tuned.

alwil

Reaction score
I have had the same question for quite a while.....I think after Christmas I am going to try the Elite 58V tuned FICM

strokin6L

Reaction score
wasn't batteries. I remember Doug seeing a couple of Swamps 58v FICM's in his shop toasted. Something with the circuit board if i remember correctly. He posted it on FB a while back.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Swamps have said that they did have some customers have the 58v FICM go bad all of a sudden. But Waaaay more good ones than bad.

chappy

Reaction score
I'd get a 58v since the stocker is not known for its reliability. Unless they can swap a tune onto the new one if it does crap out but I doubt it.

windrunner408

Reaction score
Well I think I am going to get a quick tricks auto FICM when they start selling them again. I guess they ran out of stock but expect to be selling them again after the first of the new year. They are going to raise their price for the unit but the core charge has gone down and they are planning to offer a LIFETIME Warranty as well.

yeehaw

Reaction score
i have had a swamps 58V in my truck for almost a year, and 20k+ miles NOO issue, truck always starts within 4 seconds no matter how cold and never lopes

windrunner408

Reaction score
Well mine starts within 4 seconds everytime and doesnt lope (in temps as low as 28*F) especially now that added some rev-x and 5w-40 oil vice the 15w-40. I am more curious of the power adding effects of either a tuned 48v, 58v, or 58v tuned FICM.

Glad to hear that the durability of the 58v is good.

07_powerstroke

Reaction score
Today i had a stock tune in my truck val. Syn. Oil with 4100 miles on the oil change. Last night the temp was 0* when i started the truck this morning it was 15* it loped a couple times and smokes grayish blue. Tomoro when its cold i will test the ficm. When i have the tester on and someone starts the truck it cant drop below 48 volts right?

windrunner408

Reaction score
It can and very well might but IMO if you are getting less than 40v either through KOEO, cranking, and/or running; then it is time for a new FICM. JMO.

windrunner408

Reaction score
No I mean 40v. It is a very subjective number IMO as well but you have to draw the line somewhere. It is not uncommon to hear of guys with trucks where their FICM will put out less than 48v while cranking and that is why I say if it is dropping to less than 40v then you know for sure your FICM is probably toast but some might argue that a FICM that has its voltage only drop to 45v or so may still be good. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Members online