regen question

Emery19

Reaction score
I searched a little bit, but I couldn't really find what I was looking for.

Bought the 08 in August with 77k or so on it, and when it went into regens everything seemed normal. I went back to school, and I leave the truck at home. Dad drives it every a few times every week so it doesn't sit. he called me one time and mentioned a little white smoke driving around. but not to to bad. I couldn't really diagnose it being 500 miles away. being home now for break I've been driving the truck around. Everything seemed normal and so i was like hmm, might have been a fluke, because it just so happened the two times dad noticed it, it was when it was damp and raining.

Thursday 12/22/11 I went to my buddies house to move a couch and some other stuff, picked up all the stuff and went to drive from that house to his parents house (15-20 minute drive) pulled out onto the main road and i looked in my mirror and noticed the truck pouring white smoke out the tailpipe. Before i jumped to conclusions I ran a system check and it told me that the truck was cleaning the exhaust filter. I had never seen it do this before, but it cleared up pretty quick. drove to his parents house, back to my house about 20 miles or so. then a 75 mile round trip, to drop some rugs off in Falmouth and then parked it. It sat Friday and Saturday, I ran it for about 20-30 minutes on Sunday just because it had been about 10 degrees and I wanted to make sure it was run just to make sure.

Today, 12/27/11 I went out did a few errands and drove about 15 miles or so, but it was completely warmed up and such. went to pick up some Applebees and was up to about 7-8 miles away from home at a stop light and as i took off the truck was dumping white smoke and pretty much fogged out everyone behind me, pulled off to the next light and sure enough the truck was in regen again, according to the computer. pulled away from the light and the smoke continued to come, (it hadn't stopped unless i wasnt accelerating) I could see the next couple lights were green so I gave it a good bit of gas, and it fogged my whole lane, did that for a 1/4 of a mile and eventually cleared up as i pulled into Applebees. No signs of smoke all the way home but it wasnt in regen.

is this amount of white smoke normal when the trucks in regen? or is something wrong with the dpf or egr cooler.

sorry for the long read, I was just trying to get as much information in for you guys to help me.

Cliff notes:
regened twice within 100 miles
sh!t ton of white smoke during regen.
not sure if something is wrong or if its normal.

Thanks in advance guys!

Cory S

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing I deleted it and dpf was cracked and broke. No smoke after it's deleted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Emery19

Reaction score
crap. i did read a thread like that, but i was hoping it was something different. I did get Ford ExtraCARE on the truck, so hopefully that'll take care of it. I'm assuming i should get that taken care as soon as possible?

MINK

Reaction score
If ford wont take care of you and you want to replace the dpf I have a good one laying here - let me know if you need it.

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Mine did this when I first bought it and it was the egr system

Emery19

Reaction score
Most likely it is cracked internally. You wouldnt be able to see it.

that's kinda what i figured, but i thought id ask. thanks man

If ford wont take care of you and you want to replace the dpf I have a good one laying here - let me know if you need it.

thanks man :toast: ill let you know.

Mine did this when I first bought it and it was the egr system

Same on my 09!

crap. any way to exactly pinpoint what might be causing it, or should i see if the dealer can figure it out.

drove it a bunch today, no regen today, we'll see what happens tomorrow. thanks again guys

Kingranchrollin89

Reaction score
Ditto dpf or I know mine was white smokin and I replaced the egr and went ahead and did the oil cooler at the same time I had 134k and it stoped no probs since but it will be deleted soon do no more worries:toast:

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
I've had tuned and deleted trucks do this, so don't jump to conclusions.

There's a TSB regarding intercooler replacement (it doesn't work) that's supposed to cure white smoke on tip-in after steady state cruising during humid conditions.

Ford will tell you some smoke during regen is normal. There was a TSB for that too, called "functional regeneration characteristics".

Emery19

Reaction score
the intercooler has already been replaced. according to the oasis report on the truck.

what do you mean by steady state cruising? i was driving in stop and go traffic in the city, and it only does this during regen. it was also in the thirtys with a very dry cold. and raining.

when was the tsb for the functional regenration characteristics put out? the truck is going into the shop tomorrow for some other things so ill have them check to make sure everything is up to date. also, how much smoke is normal? something tells me that white smoke that fogs out a lane - a lane and a half of traffic is not normal. haha.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Yah, I said the intercooler replacement doesn't work.

The only way I can see of fixing this is mounting a BOV to the BOTTOM of the CAC so when it vents it blows the moisture/water/oil out of the CAC every time the BOV opens.

My personal truck does it, and it has the "new" IC on it.

The IC TSB says if you drive at a steady speed for long periods it'll huff smoke. I've had MY truck do it at all sorts of different times.

I mean it is possible that you have other issues, just telling you common crap.

That tsb for regen came out shortly after the job 1 trucks were released, but in all honesty - may have been ultra-supersceded.

Is your PCM/TCM at the latest cal level?

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
Duplicating the concern will be most important here.

A lot of guys do NOT get paid for diagnosis if there's nothing repaired. Especially if it's Warranty.

If I couldn't duplicate the concern, find codes, or it was a known issue, there wasn't really much I could do about it.

Emery19

Reaction score
thanks for all the info man! I really appreciate it. I guess I'm sorta at a stand still right now as to where to go from here, I'll have to figure out if the pcm/tcm is at latest cal level. I'm thinking so because the oasis report shows a update last april or so.. but i'm not entirely sure. I guess i should go about finding out if I'm up to date or not before continueing any other course of action?

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
I'm not sure about in the US cause sometimes the programs are different, but we just had an 11B23 campaign for a PCM update. I can't rightly remember what all it was for, but I think it did expire as a freebie Dec 31st.

If I recall rightly the last calibration I remember seeing was -AG as the suffix. I think. I may be wrong though. My buddy's truck has -AJC in it, and the last reflash it had was 10B17 like two years ago.

Big Angry Hillbilly

Reaction score
I'm not sure about in the US cause sometimes the programs are different, but we just had an 11B23 campaign for a PCM update. I can't rightly remember what all it was for, but I think it did expire as a freebie Dec 31st.

If I recall rightly the last calibration I remember seeing was -AG as the suffix. I think. I may be wrong though. My buddy's truck has -AJC in it, and the last reflash it had was 10B17 like two years ago.

Latest posts

Members online