Going to have to pull the engine

genuineford

Reaction score
The trip to TS pulling the camper was too much for the 6.0 to handle, it started puking on the way home. So I need to start gathering parts to do studs. I will probably put a new hpop on it while I am in there the truck has 200K on it and the hot starts are not the best. What else do you all suggest that I do to it while I am in there. I don't plan on putting larger injectors in this truck or anything like that. I just am going for a good running truck that I can have a hot tune loaded in it.

Goose

Reaction score
Studs, full egr delete, coolant filter, updated STC depending on year, updated turbo drain tube. Be sure to get the heads check for cracks and milled for flatness. Hardened valves seats are a great idea. Id also clean the turbo while it is out. IPR valve, glow plugs maybe...

genuineford

Reaction score
Truck is an 03 it has a 4 inch exhaust and is deleted. I was planning on the fuel system the head work and the studs.

Dave

Reaction score
Looks like a solid plan Steve. What tune were you pulling in?

Katie said you blew a boot

genuineford

Reaction score
I was towing in stock because I do not have gauges in the truck yet. But apparently we were going for a while with a hole in the boot. I found it the night before we were leaving and cut it shorter and got it to work. Then it blew when we were going over a via-dock and it down shifted. So I blame some of this happening on that issue.But the truck did not run right the whole trip so it is time to tear into it and see what I can find.

yeehaw

Reaction score
hey steve is the oil cooler ok?

mine puked awhile back headed up to puredieselpower.com with a friends truck on the trailer, put an oil cooler in it and its been good since

genuineford

Reaction score
The oil cooler was starting to get bad but we beat it pretty bad on the trip. I am going to get this all over with at one time so hopefully I don't have to touch it again or worry about hooking a trailer to it.

genuineford

Reaction score
Yeah I saw some oil in by the turbo I am going to see the condition of it and possibly rebuild it or replace it also.

Dieselcraft

Reaction score
Have fun bro I would just recommend new glow plugs studs and chck your head for flatness. It's a 03 this hpop are strong Iv only seen the o3s shoot the bloock of ball out of the pump. I'd also suggest 6.4l banjo bolts and upgrade turbo drain tube and replace oil cooler for sure

Last edited: