biggest trailer

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Anything less than 26k combined unless you have a commercial license. Here in KS we go by tag weight as well. On my F350 I have a 24k tag so I can tow up to that legally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7.3 rocket

Reaction score
Anything less than 26k combined unless you have a commercial license. Here in KS we go by tag weight as well. On my F350 I have a 24k tag so I can tow up to that legally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In most states it's actually under 26,000 on the truck and 10,000 on the trailer. So theoretically you could gross over 30,000lbs combined legally with a class C license so long as your truck GVW was under 26,000 and your trailer was under 10,000. At some point you need a medical card and DOT numbers. I'm not sure when exactly that is though.

On the other hand my 9900lb GVW truck with our 14,000lb GVW trailer is under 26,000 combined, however I still need a class A license for it because the trailer GVW is over 10,000

Last edited:

Twan

Reaction score
If its for personal use, as big as you want, as long as your axle is not over weight. As soon as it business not sure, each state is a little different, but your safe with a trailer that is under a 10400, GVWR.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Well.... I am all for towing heavy as you need or want to.... BUUUUUT....

I was pulling Aaron's goose neck flat bed a few months ago.... with my f250 on it, and learned a valuable lesson. As I was passing a weigh station, there was a State Patrol SUV clocking the northbound lane. And a little "fart muffler" car flew by me. I was going almost exactly the speed limit. No reason to fly when I am hauling My 70,000 dollar truck, with my other 70,000 dollar truck.... hate to wreck, and loose em both...

To my surprise, I GOT PULLED OVER!!!! WTF!?!? He told me that I was supposed to get weighed when I had a load on that particular trailer.

the trailer GVW rating was 21,000, and I had 14,800 with a GCWV of 24,400. I know this, because the Statie had me follow him around, and had me on the scales. I protested, as I haul my 40 foot 5th wheel toy hauler, at 17,000- 18,000 regularly, and never had an issue. Well, he explained it to me like this. The RV has a bathroom, and they are exempt from the weigh stations, and drivers license restrictions. The cheapest ticket he could have given me was 1,800 dollars!!!!!! PASSING A WEIGH STATION. Followed with NOT LICENSED FOR WEIGHT TOWED. this could have, very easily been a 4,000 dollar afternoon.....

Personal use or not, if you are not licensed for over a 10,000 pound trailer, be prepared to fork over serious fines.... you don't need a CDL if you are NOT FOR HIRE, but you need a Class A. Same test at the DMV, but no log book, or drug testing with the Class A. Study the CDL pamphlet. I failed the Class A test the first time.... study RETARDERS, and the wording..... LOL

BTW... I have Prurple Heart tags, and am a double amputee, and an active duty green beret.... that is why he ended up giving me a warning ticket, instead of being an ass... that, and I was respectful....

Last edited:

01platinum

Reaction score
What state was that? I have a class A cdl and have hauled my 40' low boy gooseneck with the golf cart and race truck on the trailer and never had any problems. Usually pass 2 weight stations on the way to Dallas/Ennis. Most of the time I get a thumbs up from DOT.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

CamTom12

Reaction score

I was pulling Aaron's goose neck flat bed a few months ago.... with my f250 on it, and learned a valuable lesson. As I was passing a weigh station, there was a State Patrol SUV clocking the northbound lane. And a little "fart muffler" car flew by me. I was going almost exactly the speed limit. No reason to fly when I am hauling My 70,000 dollar truck, with my other 70,000 dollar truck.... hate to wreck, and loose em both...

To my surprise, I GOT PULLED OVER!!!! WTF!?!? He told me that I was supposed to get weighed when I had a load on that particular trailer.

the trailer GVW rating was 21,000, and I had 14,800 with a GCWV of 24,400. I know this, because the Statie had me follow him around, and had me on the scales. I protested, as I haul my 40 foot 5th wheel toy hauler, at 17,000- 18,000 regularly, and never had an issue. Well, he explained it to me like this. The RV has a bathroom, and they are exempt from the weigh stations, and drivers license restrictions. The cheapest ticket he could have given me was 1,800 dollars!!!!!! PASSING A WEIGH STATION. Followed with NOT LICENSED FOR WEIGHT TOWED. this could have, very easily been a 4,000 dollar afternoon.....

Personal use or not, if you are not licensed for over a 10,000 pound trailer, be prepared to fork over serious fines.... you don't need a CDL if you are NOT FOR HIRE, but you need a Class A. Same test at the DMV, but no log book, or drug testing with the Class A. Study the CDL pamphlet. I failed the Class A test the first time.... study RETARDERS, and the wording..... LOL

BTW... I have Prurple Heart tags, and am a double amputee, and an active duty green beret.... that is why he ended up giving me a warning ticket, instead of being an ass... that, and I was respectful....

I'm due in for a renewal... I think I'm going to pick up a study guide and grab a Class A just in case. Thanks for posting this!

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
What state was that? I have a class A cdl and have hauled my 40' low boy gooseneck with the golf cart and race truck on the trailer and never had any problems. Usually pass 2 weight stations on the way to Dallas/Ennis. Most of the time I get a thumbs up from DOT.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
That was NC. On I-85 N, 11 miles from my destination (Rudy's Diesel Performance)
I'm due in for a renewal... I think I'm going to pick up a study guide and grab a Class A just in case. Thanks for posting this!
absolutely! It almost cost a bundle, which would have meant less money for toys... LOL Yeah, the CDL is rather pricey, with all the other requirements. But the class A, in NC, is only $30.00...

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score

I totally forgot about the RV exception...I have a custom gooseneck cargo trailer with living quarters for this very reason...I used to haul all across the midwest going to horse and stock shows for our family business...because of it being an 'RV' and having the 'RV' endorsement on the trailer tag I was exempt from weighing in...Nebraska plays by their own rules though so I avoided going north at all costs LOL

I believe I've said it before in another thread, but I'll say it again. Thank you for your service sir...and if you ever want to sell that 450 hit me up :D

florida 6.0

Reaction score
State by state it amazes me what you can get away with . I have a 36' flat bed trailer we haul building material on and because its a bumper pull I never get hassled . But my buddy with the 32' goose neck always is getting d.o.t. checked.

Denver

Reaction score
In Ca as long as your truck has a pickup bed and the trucks GVWR is 11,500 or under you can haul as heavy as you please and not stop for the scales. I've had a 3 car hauler on my F250 and didn't stop at the scales nor ever got stopped.

Stroked550

Reaction score
All depends on the trailer and how much weight you can transfer to the truck and stay under gvw. My truck weighs around 11,000 with passengers, ect. Leaves me around 6500 for pin weight from the GN. Trailer is 29,999 GVW- 24k of that can be on the trailer axles, the other 6k is on the truck, so I can legally gross 41,499 combined provided the trailer is loaded properly. CDL is a must. 40,980 in pic below

2989222610058314023S500x500Q85.jpg

B585Ford

Reaction score
That was NC. On I-85 N, 11 miles from my destination (Rudy's Diesel Performance)

absolutely! It almost cost a bundle, which would have meant less money for toys... LOL Yeah, the CDL is rather pricey, with all the other requirements. But the class A, in NC, is only $30.00...

In NC, are you required to enter every weigh station if you are towing a GN??

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
In NC, are you required to enter every weigh station if you are towing a GN??

If the axles are capable of handling 10 K or more, and you have a load, even a 25 Pounds bag of dog food, I would stop... Cheapest ticket I could have gotten that day was 1300 for failing to pull into weigh station... He gave me the "no foot" discount...

RedRice589

Reaction score
Not any gooseneck unless you're just talking about flatbeds... seems like ey look for them. Leave us horsetrailer guys alone.. although the whole sir i figured the speed limit was 70 on every interstate doesn't fly just because i'm from flooorrriiidddaaaa and its just better than their state... still made me roll onto his stupid little scales :cursing: sorry bud 8 over is still a ticket and you weigh 646 lbs less than the CAT certified scale said.... ugh laws laws laws....

B585Ford

Reaction score
So have any of y'all ever been pulled over towing a dump trailer (bumper or GN) for not going to the weigh station?

fordornothing

Reaction score
My buddies trailer I pull a lot has a GVWR of 25,900, then my pickup is 11,200. I don't tow commercialy but I still need CDL to pull that combo. I have never stopped at a weigh station but I guess I should check into that and see if I really need to.

Latest posts

Members online