Turbo braking tow tune

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Hey Matt just wanted to say I'm still loving the tunes I got for the dually...I was wondering though the other day when I was pulling a gooseneck grossing 24k+ if you could do some turbo braking on the tow tune...I've always wanted to try something like that because it would be a heck of a lot cheaper than an exhaust brake...let me know. Outstanding tow tune by the way...I was cruising at 800* going 65 on the interstate with that load...I don't think it got north of 1200* at any point during the 80 or so miles I had to tow it.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
My heavy tow tune from eric has turbo braking and its awsome helps a lot I'm sure matt can get you fixed up.

Gearhead

Reaction score
I'm a little Leary of doing it for stress on Trans and Turbo but if you mist have it I can do.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
I'm a little Leary of doing it for stress on Trans and Turbo but if you mist have it I can do.

Think it would really be that hard on it even with a manual trans? I'm just wondering, I trust your judgement, I've just heard of others doing it and wondered if you had done anything with it...I'd be willing to put my turbo and clutch in the cross hairs if you wanna do some testing with it. I'm happy as can be with the towing tune I have from you now...It actually performed much better than I expected pulling the weight I was a few weeks ago, I just felt I was always on the brakes on every little down hill. Let me know sir, I'm in no rush...Wont have too much more heavy hauling until next race season pulling vanderchevy's truck.

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
Fwiw back when i still had a ebpv i wired it up but it didn take long using it till the pedistal started leaking bad. It does work good though.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Fwiw back when i still had a ebpv i wired it up but it didn take long using it till the pedistal started leaking bad. It does work good though.

Was the leak due to the extra duty? I bet it wouldn't be too hard to use an electric motor to actuate the valve. Just require a little fab work.

powerstrokenstang

Reaction score
Not certain but it had never closed on its own and only had like 90k miles then.

I didn even look at you sig lol but didn know you could do that on those turbos to make any real difference.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
Not certain but it had never closed on its own and only had like 90k miles then.

I didn even look at you sig lol but didn know you could do that on those turbos to make any real difference.

Yeah, it has been done by other tuners and I talked to a guy with Viv's tunes I believe and he said it actually made a big difference...not as much as an actual exhaust brake obviously but it helped him stay off the brakes on hills

wint

Reaction score
I have rode in a duramax with this type of tune and WOW is all i can say. It felt like we stood on the brakes when it went into engine brake mode. I know thats a Dmax but I'm assuming the same can be done with other VGTs? And I wouldn't think it would hurt the trans if its a manual but I know, back to the OBS stuff, that when using the EBPV as a engine brake it was said to put a lot stress/ failure on the valve train. I'm not sure it that would carry over to a 6.4 or even a VGT style turbo. Just my $0.02.

Latest posts

Members online