4 or 2 channel amp???

03_PSD

Reaction score
I'm wanting to run an amp to my front and rear speakers. I've read where the rear speakers don't really need an amp and other say they do. Whats a decent amp to use? I plan on upgrading the fronts to 6.5 components. Right now I have Pioneer 3 ways in the doors and rear pannel (5x7 or 6x8's I can't remember). I have a Phoenix Gold Xenon for my subs and like it, would another one be good to use for the other speakers?

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
Since you already have an amp for your subs just run a 4 channel for the doors. I run a 4 channel for my front speakers and sub. Works good for me.

F-117HWK

Reaction score
I run an Alipne PDX-5 5 channel channel for the 4 doors and then a 12" Pioneer shallow sub. The small footprint of the amp is awesome for the limited space we have and it hasnt missed a beat yet.

The Alpine PDX-F4 is a little more powerful on the 4 channels. Or there is also the Alpine PDX-F6 if you wanted even more power. Also keep in mind that they seem to be fairly under rated as well. I believe my PDX-5 is rated at 75watts/ch but the birth sheet showed over 100watts/ch

Also, I just used Crutchfield because their site is well laid out. Their prices blow especially if you live in VA.

dave186

Reaction score
I run 2 seperate 2 channel amps, one for front and one for rear. Reason being is I need more power to the fronts than the rears.

SouthFlstrokin'

Reaction score
nope hence why i only run the 4 channel.... but i will get a mono block for my sub soon to power my doors

AKHILF

Reaction score
Amps are a good thing to spend money on if you want a good one. Its all about the components in them. That boston might be ok though. They have a good rep. And i'v never tried a hifonics but I have heard they dont put out what they say. But that goes with a lot of cheaper amps.

jdc753

Reaction score
I think things have changed and hifonics has yet gone down another notch, years ago they were true rock solid good amps, then got sold out to Maxsonics and they become cheap mediocre amps BUT did indeed put out rated power (great bang for the buck) now I believe they have dropped another touch into the land of Jensen and Power Acoustik (decent amps but don't expect rated power from them) still not as bad as the Pyle or Pyramid crap that clutters ebay and flea markets.

Now when you get into the world of decent name brand amps like Boston Acoustic, Kicker, Rockford Fosgate, Alpine, Infinity, Pioneer, etc it will basically come down to how many watts you get for your dollar. At this point a watt is a watt all these amps and many more should preform on a pretty level playing field.

I personally would always buy 4 channel amps just because of the added flexibility you get with 1, only time I would buy a 2 channel is because I KNEW I needed it to fill the final piece in a system.

03_PSD

Reaction score
Thanks for that post.

I just want better, cleaner, louder sound than my hu produces. I can't spend a lot of money also, I know you get what you pay for.

Another question should is look for an AB or D class amp?

F-117HWK

Reaction score
Thanks for that post.

I just want better, cleaner, louder sound than my hu produces. I can't spend a lot of money also, I know you get what you pay for.

I like the Class D since it helps to keep the footprint a little smaller. I'm sure the more knowledgeable guys can chime in as to what the exact differences are on the more technical side.

jdc753

Reaction score
Thanks for that post.

Glad to help out, honestly from what it sounds like for you I would just jump on a good deal, probably around the Hifonics level, figure it will make a few watts less than its rating but it will still BLOW the HU power out of the water. HU power is around 17-20wRMS while the amp will be most likely 50-100w, so you are going to at a minimum double your power which will net a minimum 3db gain. Plus with the more power comes greater cone control of the speaker as it cycles (clarity) and less chance of clipping at higher volumes (distortion and speaker damage)

For what you are looking to do a class D amp will be fine. If you were going to add some higher end component speakers and looking for that ultimate fidelity then A/B all the way but I think the gap in sound quality is getting smaller and smaller between A/B and D class amps.

I like the Class D since it helps to keep the footprint a little smaller. I'm sure the more knowledgeable guys can chime in as to what the exact differences are on the more technical side.

Yup Class D is a much more efficient design allowing for the smaller foot print multi channel amps like Alpine PDX and JL HD amps. Generally Class D amps were considered only good for subwoofer duty as their shortcomings in sound quality aren't as critical and their higher efficiency (thus output) worked well, instead of having a HUGE A/B amp.

Basically what it comes down to is differences in THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) Dampening Factor, and signal to noise ratio. Just looking quick over the specs on the new line of PDX amps it looks like Alpine has the Class D stuff all figured out, and I would assume the same with JL's HD line.

This actually hits on most of the points fairly well, see the items they talk about on the left of the page, http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/pdx-f4/

F-117HWK

Reaction score
Yup Class D is a much more efficient design allowing for the smaller foot print multi channel amps like Alpine PDX and JL HD amps. Generally Class D amps were considered only good for subwoofer duty as their shortcomings in sound quality aren't as critical and their higher efficiency (thus output) worked well, instead of having a HUGE A/B amp.

Basically what it comes down to is differences in THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) Dampening Factor, and signal to noise ratio. Just looking quick over the specs on the new line of PDX amps it looks like Alpine has the Class D stuff all figured out, and I would assume the same with JL's HD line.

This actually hits on most of the points fairly well, see the items they talk about on the left of the page, http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/pdx-f4/

Interesting reading thanks for the link Josh. The PDX-5 has treated me well so far.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.