Excessive DEF Use

powerstrokedub

Reaction score
Hey guys my dads 6.7L seems to be going through the exhaust fluid at a pretty rapid rate. The first tank of DEF lasted about six thousand miles but since then he seems to be going through a tank every two thousand miles. Not sure what the deal is with that or if its normal, but I don't think it should be using that much fluid. Thanks!

Spatel23

Reaction score
Id take it in and have it looked over....or delete it LOL

On a serious note, if he's topping it off everytime and it's calling for more every 2k miles it needs to go in under warranty without a doubt .

powerstrokedub

Reaction score
I'm just gonna tell him that the only solution is an H&S programmer. LOL

On a serious note, the techs at my dealer I don't have any faith in so I will possibly talk the service manager into re flashing the truck since he is a friend. Thanks for the reply Shone!

Moremph

Reaction score
Is he towing heavy, all trucks towing alot seem to be using way more then they are suppose to

Travis

davey99ps

Reaction score
My old man has only filled his once, but its only got 10 or 11,000mi on it so far.

Just read the response above, my dads truck spends 75% of its time hooked to a 20ft maxi-dump trailer

Last edited:

Moremph

Reaction score
I have talked to several customers with em, and everyone who drives it as a commuter doesnt have any problems, all the guys that tow a lot seem to have a much higher consumption rate
Travis

powerstrokedub

Reaction score
He commutes with it quite a bit.. but not very far. I would say that it sees towing duty at least one or two times a week though and he travels far when he does tow. He has only had the truck since july and has 14k on it haha.

quicksilver11

Reaction score
At 6000 miles mine said it was under 1/2 full. I added 2.5 gallons. It said it was full. I checked it a 1000 miles later and it said under half full. I added another 2 gallons and it over flowed. How much is he adding each time? I truly think Ford needs a better gauge on the DEF tank that way we know exactly when it's completely topped off.

I put between 600-800 miles a week on my truck in the city.

Heavyhaul

Reaction score
That seems excessive to me. My 450 doesn't burn that much. I have to take my truck 2-3 hours away to have it worked on. So i know the feeling. My last empty big run was 5000 miles and 2 gal of def fluid.

powerstrokedub

Reaction score
At 6000 miles mine said it was under 1/2 full. I added 2.5 gallons. It said it was full. I checked it a 1000 miles later and it said under half full. I added another 2 gallons and it over flowed. How much is he adding each time? I truly think Ford needs a better gauge on the DEF tank that way we know exactly when it's completely topped off.

I put between 600-800 miles a week on my truck in the city.

We added three gallons then he drove about 400 miles to get home and it said that it only had 600 miles left, so we put another 2.5 gallons in and it sounded like it was full but it didn't over flow.

That seems excessive to me. My 450 doesn't burn that much. I have to take my truck 2-3 hours away to have it worked on. So i know the feeling. My last empty big run was 5000 miles and 2 gal of def fluid.

I think that either the tank sensor sucks really bad, or that his truck is really running through the fluid. My cousin just bought a 6.7l but he only has 800 miles on it so I can't really judge whats going on off his truck just yet. Hopefully since we just filled the tank it will stop the problem.