Ball Joints Question

Tom S

Reaction score
Do you guys do anything to coat any of the surfaces when doing ball joints? I realize the are a press fit but do you say coat anything with Anti-Sieze, Paint, or anything else to reduce the corrosion or rusting? These must get brutally rusted in where they use lots of salt.

co04cobra

Reaction score
I always clean the hole mount out with a little grinder then put a light coat of grease on them when pressing them in. They do get rusty, but with the right press tool you hardly ever have to use heat on them.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
high temp anti sieze, and like said above i clean the bore out really well. I've always wanted to try that spray on rust inhibitor for auto body work on them to see if it helps

Tom S

Reaction score
These were not too bad to press out. Axle had over 200k so I assume they were done at least once. I am repainting the knuckles but taped off the ball joint bores. Be nice to have something that stopped rust but did not lube them up too much to where they could move around.

Jake

Reaction score
I use the high temp anti sieze on them when I do them but I think how tight the fit is most of it does not make it. When I did the ones in my OBS they were a MF'er ended up using the plasma cutter to get them out. The ones in the SD were a breeze though.

Tom S

Reaction score
Haha, I just got moderated with my thread moved. This is probably a better place for it though.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
you really don't have to coat them with anything..
I never did, and I wrenched for 25+ years..

I suppose a light coat of moly or lithium wouldn't hurt anything, but in the grand scheme of things, I never found it made a difference.