The Reincarnation of the HRT Race Motor.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
As many of you might remember or recall - I had my race motor up for sale on PSN some time ago. Well it sold and as the arrangement that I have worked out with the new owner - the motor is getting a full rebuild (part of my asking price) - and installed into his truck with a set of custom build compound turbos. For those that don't know or remember the race engine or my pulling truck:

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

YouTube Video

Dave

Reaction score
The new owner is going to be one very very happy man

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I have the motor stripped down - keep in mind it looks like crap all covered in oil and soot since it had a couple of years of hard racing abuse plus a couple of years kicking around the shop.

All in all not too shabby - bearings are all in pretty good shape still, the cam has over an 1/8" of end play which is of no surprise since it died on the rollers at BDP by eating the cam sensor, 6 of the 8 fire rings were leaking - again no surprise as this motor did not have the steam port inserts that everyone is running with fire rings these days. I've very happy with the way things look and feel very confident about not only this build, but my upcoming build for the '79 project.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
What was that number?

LOL - I think it was a rather pathetic 488hp or something like that - not too shabby with 6 blown fire rings, a cam gear walking off the cam throwing off the timing, and only one OK run since it died on run two and had to be pushed off the rollers because the cam gear ate the CPS.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Cant wait to see where this goes!

How does the seam port inserts affect the fire ring sealing ability?

PSDEng

Reaction score
I remember something about this truck having a fuel system that runs off the HPOP gear.....is there any chance that you could give a little more info on how this works, it's something different that I've never seen before. (I understand though if the new owner doesn't want to give that info away)

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Are you going to build mine now? LOL

I will watch this as well, would be nice to help out some and gather some info from you for my build.

I need to clean some projects off the slate first..... there are currently three build threads on this forum all taking place in that building. LOL

Cant wait to see where this goes!

How does the seam port inserts affect the fire ring sealing ability?

The steam port is very close to the cylinder, and when you cut the fire rings out of the stock gaskets to run competition level fire rings the gasket is SUPER thin between the cylinder and the steam port. During start up before things are up to temp the fire rings only seal so-so and without any other provisions blow out in that exact location. By bushing down the steam port and using a viton o-ring there the fire ring setup can hold better during initial start up and warm up criteria. Once the gasket is blown out it never seals worth a damn even warmed up. Or at least this has been my experiences with them.

I remember something about this truck having a fuel system that runs off the HPOP gear.....is there any chance that you could give a little more info on how this works, it's something different that I've never seen before. (I understand though if the new owner doesn't want to give that info away)

Gear pump mounted to the front access hole on the front cover with a drive flange that has a hex EDM'd hole in it that fits perfectly over the HPOP gear bolt. The pump has an internal pressure relief so it can never exceed what ever pressure it is set at - then I ran the output of the pump into a "standard" issue regulated return setup.

Subscribing. I dreamed about being able to buy this motor and put twins on it. But, I'm still running a beer-budget. :(

Yeah - but you drink a lot of beer - so your budget has to be half way decent. :toast: