Little issue.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Ok. So as of December/January I got both batteries replaced brand new, new alternator, and gpr all cuz much to my dismay and after testing them proving that they were bad, they were all replaced. Well as of lately(last couple days) my red battery light has been acting up and real goofy. It would stay on, not ever come on, or flicker real bad and spuratic. Now when sitting in parking lot at work tonite before I left o noticed the light was on constantly while idling. And the volt gauge was just under half when normally it's over half like it's supposed to be. I could hit the pedal and hold at 1000 rpm and it would go just to half and the light would stay off.

So my first thought is bad alt. But it's brand new(still nice and shiny). So I'll get it tested when I can. Bu also I'll note that the truck starts and runs just fine And like normal. Starts right up. And when going down the road I have good normal volts.

To my knowledge all the problematic sensors and such, and UVCH are factory.
Thanks

Jordan.

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
Have you checked the....I believe single wire, plug on top the alt? A bad connection even if it looks fine can cause that. At least on mine it looks fine but if not positioned right light comes on

ccarrier

Reaction score
Have you checked the....I believe single wire, plug on top the alt? A bad connection even if it looks fine can cause that. At least on mine it looks fine but if not positioned right light comes on

there is a rubber hose that runs over the single wire, it causes the light to come on. bend the bracket that holds the rubber hose away from the wire. then straighten the single wire

7.3psd97444

Reaction score

there is a rubber hose that runs over the single wire, it causes the light to come on. bend the bracket that holds the rubber hose away from the wire. then straighten the single wire

Ok I'll check this out thanks guys.

But what about the low voltage I was seeing?

SDS97_7.3

Reaction score
I don't know how to explain that mine has shown low voltage a couple times on the dash gauge but if I hook a meter up to the alt its right where it should be so are the batteries

Tom S

Reaction score
You might also have to tighten up the push on connector a bit so that it makes a good connection.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Turned out to be the wire connector. It was loose as can be. Took it off, inspected it, and put back on and it's tight now and no batt light flickering. Also the idler pulley, tensioner pulley, and the tensioner itself were all bad. Replaced all three of these parts. The tensioner was worn so bad that the pulley would rub the bolt head that bolts the whole tensioner on the motor. The new one is a new and improved part. It's Beefier and longer. But still fits the belt perfectly. It actually wraps the belt around the alternator pulley better which I like. Also put a new belt on. No more slippage, batt light blinking, or squeaks under the hood. Problem solved. Thanks.