To wastegate or not to wastegate...

mortal798

Reaction score
What do you guys think - wastegate or no wastegate? I am not going for huge power, just reliability. I don't want the possibility of one of those EGR coolers becoming a coolant injector.

So do I go with block off plates, full egr delete - NO wastegate, or full egr delete - WITH wastegate. What are the pros and cons?
I read BFT's wastegate guide - which was very informative - but what is everybody else doing? Are you guys all running the Elite Wastegate kit?

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
If you have the funds for the EGR delete w/wastegate, I say go for it. I went with the EGR cooler delete without wastegate and CFM+ because it was in my budget at the time and I could always add the wastegate later if I needed it. So far, with 20 passes down the track with the Spartan 310, I have zero issues not running a wastegate.

mortal798

Reaction score
Thanks, thats good to know. I'm guessing you don't tow, right? At least with that truck...

I am pulling the camper in my avatar, 42' and about 12750lbs dry. Any idea if towing load is different than track load for wastegate use?

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Thanks, thats good to know. I'm guessing you don't tow, right? At least with that truck...

I am pulling the camper in my avatar, 42' and about 12750lbs dry. Any idea if towing load is different than track load for wastegate use?

No towing, but I bet I see more drive pressure in a 1/4 mile pass than you ever see towing. I could be wrong, but it only makes sense. I think you will be fine without a wastegate, but I only say this because of my setup being proven now for 15,000 miles.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I would gate it anyway but i think the gates kinda come in the higher rpm range i dont know when your truck shifts when towing, but i think the gate is a good idea

BFT

Reaction score
you will see a more BP towing then you would racing.

and if there is any power loss then they are either, A, not hooking it up correctly or, B, not dialing it in.

edit: depending on the tune that is being run will determine the BP you see.

mortal798

Reaction score
Well, thats what I'm thinking. I like that Jeff has 15,000 miles on his set up wit no gate, but he is racing - not towing. I want to be safe and not end up on the side of the road wth my wife and two little kids 300 miles form home because I didn't spend the extra money on a wastegate.

If I sell this engine, i will probably be the first thing I buy...

jkidd_39

Reaction score
No towing, but I bet I see more drive pressure in a 1/4 mile pass than you ever see towing. I could be wrong, but it only makes sense. I think you will be fine without a wastegate, but I only say this because of my setup being proven now for 15,000 miles.

Agreed totally. I tow a 22k material handler and see higher drive pressures on the track. Unless you use nitrous save a ton of cash and get block off plates.

JDub

Reaction score
Keep an eye out for an affordable gate/cooler delete system to come to the market here soon...

mike@haller's

Reaction score
I would definately gate it to relieve the high back pressure these motors see. Jeff might not have a gate on his but I'll bet you wouldn't like what the top of his pistons looked like if you took his heads off.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.