code 0284 and 0308

nadadwia

Reaction score
140K miles and first sign of trouble is smokin to beat hell and running rough at idle. no oil in the coolat, no coolant in the oil< check engine on and holding codes that are for misfire on cylendar 8 and an unbalance code. runs great when warm. we put the truck through the diagnostic on the code reader and the fuel inectors show good and the glow plugs show good. i think inector is goig bad but not sure what to check before i take it to ford house i thought i would ask here, any ideas what to look at?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
sounds like an injector to me, my truck would do the same thing, sound like crap cold and then clear up fine once warm.

Have you tried to high idle before the thing starts to smoke and carry on? Mine would be fine at 1200 rpm or so... not sure why.

But i think your right injector would be my guess.

nadadwia

Reaction score
when it sits at idle to warm up it will sit at about 1200 rpm and then kick up to 1bout 15 or 1600 for a minute, then it acts like it is chocking out with fuel. first time it did it was several months ago did it one time while i ran in to get a coke, came out and thought the motor was coming apart. shut it down and checked everything nothing out of order so i started it back up and everything ran great, no problems no codes when we checked it out at ford.

now it did it again and now it is still smoking so my mechanic ( doenst work on diesel engines) checked it with his code reader and we let it run the diagnostic on the fuel and glow plugs.

I am htinking injector so as is he but thought i would seek some other opinions.

the truck is still getting 22 mpg.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Seeing that both of those codes popped up and they are both pointing to #8, I would have to agree that it's an injector issue. Are you running any kind of tuning or is the truck bone stock? What year/build date is the truck?

nadadwia

Reaction score
truck is an 08 built in 05/07. stock except has 4 inch exhaust on it programming is all factory no programmer or anything on it, it has a k and n filter on it. i bought the truck with 100k on it and now has 140k

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
Some of the early build date trucks had injector recalls. I dealt with the mess. It may be something to look in to but seeing that you have 140,000 miles on the truck, Ford may not honor the recall. They are notorious from not honoring recalls once a truck is out of warranty.

I only found out about mine after a catastrophic motor failure. The dealership ran my VIN and found that Ford had recalled several of the injectors in my truck. Never got a letter or anything about it. I found out the hard way. :doh:

nadadwia

Reaction score
i had recall issues on the air bag a couple months ago finally had to threaten to get a lawyer to get them to honor a safety recall.

do i need to replace all the inectors or can you do them individually?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
factory replacements are the only way to go, i had 2 bum injectors i bought off ebay

Latest posts

Members online