Popping from rear? On launch.

TexasPM

Reaction score
This has happened since I installed the tune and dpf delete. It doesn't necessarily need to be on a launch, but when I am below 10 mph and put the pedal to the floor there is a God awful noise that sounds like it's coming from the rear. It sounds as of the rear end is ratcheting or something, along with some bouncing. I was told at 1 point to install bars and that would fix it, bars are on order, but the noise just isn't right. I've looked at videos showing axle wrap for other trucks and have never heard that pop, pop, pop, pop,. Truck has 53k on the clock, and I don't really drive it too hard. Will you guys let me know what you think? Thanks!

Kp

SAK

Reaction score
Sounds like the axle wrap is causing it. Is there a lift on the truck? If so how much and is the carrier bearing shimmed to keep the drive shaft in the correct angle.

TexasPM

Reaction score
Yes, there is a 4" lift. Rancho. The blocks are also cut for the pinion angle, along with carrier drop about an inch.

TexasPM

Reaction score
As a matter of fact there is, up to about 10 mph. Vibrate, pause, vibrate, pause... After 10 gone.

SAK

Reaction score
The carrier bearing is not shimmed correctly. The vibration is caused by the u-joints coming out of phase. The popping you are getting now is because the axle wrap is now exaggerating the u-joints. Getting the carrier shimmed correctly and the traction bars on should take care of the problem.

As for how much to shim the carrier bearing it is hard to say since each truck acts differently and you have angled blocks that change the pinion angle.

There will be a happy medium on the spacing of the carrier bearing, if you go to far down you will get rid off the take off vibration, but you will start to have high speed vibration.

What traction bars are you going to put on the truck?

TexasPM

Reaction score
Fat Boy Bars. I had some Superlift bars on order from 4 Wheel Parts that never came in, seriously 4 months on order. I have a friend that runs the fat boy bars, and he likes them. Sorry I didn't buy yours, nothing personal.

TexasPM

Reaction score
By the way SAK, thanks for helping even before you knew what I was buying. I'll make sure to make it known!

TexasPM

Reaction score
By the way SAK, thanks for helping even before you knew what I was buying. I'll make sure to make it known!

TexasPM

Reaction score

TexasPM

Reaction score