Really, this much work for an alternator??

farmb0y

Reaction score
:cursing:

My alternator went out on me today. Looks like the regulator went bad, things are smoked on it.

I can't beleive that some idiot would design and a company would actually produce a product so poorly thought out! First off, who puts an alternator (a very vital and important electrical component mind you) down right next to the wheel well; where rain, snow, salt, liquid de-icer, etc, can get to it!!?!?
To continue off that, you can barely get to it to get it disassembled from the mounts since it's below the battery, IC pipe, wiring harnesses. Next to find out that there's no room for it to come out. So I called the local Ford dealer to price a new one and see if there was a trick to getting it out. A new one is $628!!! and that's with me giving them my core!! Then the service guy got into what it takes to get it out, basically disassembling most everything on the left side of the engine. I ended up pulling the battery, battery box, intake box, cut loose all the wiring harnesses from the keepers, and can only move the IC pipe out of the way since they designed that so poorly as well.

I'm just pissed cuz it takes so much work for a silly alternator. Makes me want my '99 7.3L back!!! 3 bolts, pull the wires and belt off it and it comes right off!

Rant over.

91turbogsx

Reaction score
Buying a 6.4 you should know that working on it requires removing alot of parts to replace the part you want too.

You've been spoiled by the 7.3. LOL I can name countless vehicles that are more difficult to change alternators.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
:cursing:

My alternator went out on me today. Looks like the regulator went bad, things are smoked on it.

I can't beleive that some idiot would design and a company would actually produce a product so poorly thought out! First off, who puts an alternator (a very vital and important electrical component mind you) down right next to the wheel well; where rain, snow, salt, liquid de-icer, etc, can get to it!!?!?
To continue off that, you can barely get to it to get it disassembled from the mounts since it's below the battery, IC pipe, wiring harnesses. Next to find out that there's no room for it to come out. So I called the local Ford dealer to price a new one and see if there was a trick to getting it out. A new one is $628!!! and that's with me giving them my core!! Then the service guy got into what it takes to get it out, basically disassembling most everything on the left side of the engine. I ended up pulling the battery, battery box, intake box, cut loose all the wiring harnesses from the keepers, and can only move the IC pipe out of the way since they designed that so poorly as well.

I'm just pissed cuz it takes so much work for a silly alternator. Makes me want my '99 7.3L back!!! 3 bolts, pull the wires and belt off it and it comes right off!

Rant over.
you should havee just removed the passenger inner wheel liner,and you could have been done in about 1 hour.:poke:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I.didn't think getting to it was any big deal inner fender out and its right there no problem

TyCorr

Reaction score
you should havee just removed the passenger inner wheel liner,and you could have been done in about 1 hour.:poke:

I.didn't think getting to it was any big deal inner fender out and its right there no problem

This^

I neved hesitate to pull the fender liner to get at something. Makes getting the started out of a 7.3 easy too.

Zmann

Reaction score
lol a 6.0 pretty much like a 7.3 can be done in 5 minutes why did they mess with the alternator location?

TyCorr

Reaction score
lol a 6.0 pretty much like a 7.3 can be done in 5 minutes why did they mess with the alternator location?

Im guessing the belt driven fuel pump took the real estate previously occupied by alternator. Do any 6 4s havs dual alternators?

mortal798

Reaction score
Im guessing the belt driven fuel pump took the real estate previously occupied by alternator. Do any 6 4s havs dual alternators?

My 6.4L has dual alternators. It is a $375 option on the order. They don't look that bad... I have had the primary one out, and the secondary one looks like it would be easy with the splash shield out.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Yeah, without a EGR cooler....but for those who still have them its a different story.

farmb0y

Reaction score
Good or bad of the deal, I've since ended up buying an EGR/cooler delete kit as well as a new intake. Got into the intake and scared the crap out of me how it looked. I was draining oil from the bottom boot of the CAC. I've since flushed it out, cleaned up what I could and will not be plumbing the CCV into the intake.

I did pull the fender liner eventually because I wanted to pull the baffle out of the intake plenum in the fender. That way is definitely a lot easier to get at the alternator. The dealer told me I needed to pull the fan, fan shroud, and to do that would have to move/pull the radiator. They figured a 1-2 hr job to do all that. :badidea:

Rene G

Reaction score
F'n dealers, always charge out the longest way to get anything done.

PSM_Kid

Reaction score

This! It looks scary the first time but then its not bad at all. 08 fender liners come out fairly easy.

Wait till you have to change the thermostat(s)......:D

Those are never fun!

Actually doing that today no.egr shouldn't be an issue

With the egr coolers deleted on these trucks, not only does the engine look so much cleaner but things are much easier to get to.

Latest posts

Members online