Need Help On Dash Modifications...

dirtboy25

Reaction score
Below is a pic of what every trucks dash looks like. The thing I hate the most about Fords is the interior so, I want to mod it up a little bit to suit my needs but, I have never dealt with fiberglass before and I think that is the only way to go with this.

Here's my plan... I want to cut on the lines, rotate everything towards me, and fill in the gaps with fiberglass. How hard do you guys think this will be? I'll have AC controls, head unit, and 1 air duct to modify. How hard would it be to match the texture of the factory dash? I also want to use the factory clips (assuming this piece clips into place), so are my "cut" lines correct?

This is something I really really want to do, I just need to know how to do it and get it done right. Excuse my photo editing skills, I just want to give you guys and idea of what I'm thinking.

2012-01-29163842.jpg

2012-01-29164826.jpg

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
As much as I've been back there, I can tell you this... DO NOT mess with the clips. If you do, you'll regret it because these trucks aren't soft or smooth riding at all, and it will start to rattle and squeak. If I were to do it, I would space the passenger side of the A/C and the stereo, but leave the rest alone.

Agjake11

Reaction score
it could be done but will take some work and the glass wont be as bad since you have a large open area to work with.

2 things. i have a spare dash piece you can get to do the work on since youll have to paint it after your done with the glass work. and second you could always just sawp to the 05-07 dash and have a much nicer looking dash for alot less work.

but if you want to try doing glass its not that hard to get going honestly. heres part of a console i was doing for my last truck.

from
c671678e.jpg

to this
DSC_0400.jpg

8f99cff4.jpg

dirtboy25

Reaction score
As much as I've been back there, I can tell you this... DO NOT mess with the clips. If you do, you'll regret it because these trucks aren't soft or smooth riding at all, and it will start to rattle and squeak. If I were to do it, I would space the passenger side of the A/C and the stereo, but leave the rest alone.

I wanted to leave the stock clips in place and cut an inch or two from the edge or seam, then fill the gap between. That way I could still use the stock clips and have a "factory finish".

I think I'll just have to get a spare dash piece and give it a go. I at least want to try it. I have a friend who does lots of fiberglass work for car audio. I'll have to give a shout to him and see if he can help me.

If anyone has some good threads to read let me know. I know squat about fiberglass.

Agjake11

Reaction score
3 basic steps.

you need a base layer for support (most use fleece)
then you have the resin and the glass fiber material
then you have fillers and sealers to smooth it out.