LPFP pressure when running

mortal798

Reaction score
Does anybody monitor LPFP pressure when driving? The Ford specification in the Hard Start/No Start Guide is 3-8psi. I was watching mine today and when the truck was cold it would drop down to .5psi. The longer I drove, the better it got. By the time I was at the end of my hour drive, it was between 5.5 and 7.3psi (digital gauge).

Any input on this?

mortal798

Reaction score
11. Electric Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Note: The fuel pump runs for approximately 30 seconds at initial ignition on and then the
pressure decreases.
Purpose:
The purpose of this test is to verify there is sufficient fuel pressure for starting.
Electric Fuel Pump Pressure Test
• Verify there is fuel in the tank.
• Check the fuel pump power and ground circuits.
• Measure the fuel pressure using the Fuel Line Adapter 310-159 or equivalent.
Note: If using a scan tool for the fuel pump pressure test, the scan tool value may vary by 10% on the 20.7 kPa (3 psi) specification.

Instrument Specification Measurement
0-200 kPa (0-30 20.7-55.2 kPa
psi) gauge (3-8 psi)

superdutyfarmer

Reaction score
I am by no means an expert, but the readings that everyone is giving for maintaining fuel pressure is on the return side? I deleted my fuel bowl and just t-ed in on the feed line coming off the airdog feeding the hpfp

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I am by no means an expert, but the readings that everyone is giving for maintaining fuel pressure is on the return side? I deleted my fuel bowl and just t-ed in on the feed line coming off the airdog feeding the hpfp

If you deleted the fuel bowl or are running a non regulated return fuel psi must be checked on the supply side

superdutyfarmer

Reaction score
Thats what I thought. Not trying to hi-jack your thread but one more quick question, what is too much fp to the hpfp, I was told 11 and also 15, I realize it may be different since I am not measuring the same way

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Thats what I thought. Not trying to hi-jack your thread but one more quick question, what is too much fp to the hpfp, I was told 11 and also 15, I realize it may be different since I am not measuring the same way

Anything under 20 seams to be ok. Not sure at what point could cause the pump to leak or get damage

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
3 PSI on the return is normal, you should see around 7 on the supply side with the stock pump. For the guys deleting the fuel bowls and running an aftermarket lift pump to the HPFP I wouldn't do any more than 10 psi to it. I forgot where I read it but I think it was the Ford tech manual and it stated not to exceed 10 psi on the supply side of the HPFP.

mortal798

Reaction score
LPFP installed and the lowest the pressure drops on the return is 3.0psi. Normally it is 3.5-5.2psi. No more P0232.