Injector question

bluedevilslax

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking for a little help. I am getting 140cc split shot injectors with gearhead tunes for my 97. I want to make sure that I don't need to do anything else to my truck to run these. I know that split shots aren't the best but I am getting the injectors for my stock cores so it one heck of a deal.

The truck currently has tymar intake, gauges, and a 5in straight pipe.

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score
So you are basically installing a set of AD Injectors. The only thing I would recommend is upgrading your hpop. A good hot tune and pull down icp in a sd with a 17* pump. So you really don't want to do it with your 15* pump. I say spend the little more and get a new stealth srp1. Many vendors carry them. As soon as the paperwork clears I can too.

golfer

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am looking for a little help. I am getting 140cc split shot injectors with gearhead tunes for my 97....

whyyyyy would you rather have a 140cc split shot...than say a 150-160cc single shot? curious more than anything...

a 140cc split shot uses as much HPOil as a 175-180cc single shot

(and Tom)...a 17deg HPOP only produced 6% more HPOil than a 15deg HPOP)...at 100% efficiency.

there is far greater disparity in output between any two pumps (be they 15's or 17s)...to recommend swapping from "A" 15deg pump to "A" 17deg pump...

best case...it's a coin toss...hell...the OP is almost as likely to have a 15deg pump on his truck right now that would outperform 5 or 10 "new" 17deg pumps right off the Ford parts counter shelf...

before I would do ANYTHING with an HPOP...I would recommend to the OP to...

get (whichever) injs he wants IN the truck...get the tuning dialed in...and then QUANTIFY HIS HPOP's performance following THESEinstructions...and rerun the test (if he decides to) after swapping to "A" 17deg pump...

JD3020

Reaction score
whyyyyy would you rather have a 140cc split shot...than say a 150-160cc single shot? curious more than anything...

(and Tom)...a 17deg HPOP only produced 6% more HPOil than a 15deg HPOP)...at 100% efficiency.

there is far greater disparity in output between any two pumps (be they 15's or 17s)...to recommend swapping from "A" 15deg pump to "A" 17deg pump...

best case...it's a coin toss...hell...the OP is almost as likely to have a 15deg pump on his truck right now that would outperform 5 or 10 "new" 17deg pumps right off the Ford parts counter shelf...

get (whichever) injs he wants IN the truck...get the tuning dialed in...and then QUANTIFY HIS HPOP's performance following THESEinstructions...and rerun the test (if he decides to) after swapping to "A" 17deg pump...

In the first post he said he traded his stock cores for em.

I got one hell of a deal on my splits which is why i'm running em. I basically have a stock truck also, and they run decent. They are a good step up in power over stockers, and i'm getting pretty good fuel economy. I am chasing two problems, a cackle at low RPM's and a miss/shake at certain RPM's. I think the cackle is a fuel pressure issue, and i'm leaning towards the miss being a electrical issue or a dead cylinder.

I have thrown a CEL once. I was racing a buddy in his EFI-live tuned D-max on the highway from a 80mph roll. My truck falls off hard up top and around 107mph it finally threw a light. I have a 17* pump to throw in to see if it helps out the top end any, but i'm also working on a Gen 3 style set-up which should be able to keep up with any injector i want...

Tim @ P.I.S.

Reaction score

Dave, I too agree a 160 single shot injector would be better. But as the OP stated, he is getting a good deal and they are better than stockers.

But also I have never seen even the factory 17* pump hold "GOOD" icp with most "HOT" tunes. It just doesnt happen, period.

And reading that he is upgrading on what sounds like a bugget I would at least recommend finding a 17* pump to match the injectors. I know not eveyone can throw down the extra for a aftermarket hpop. But there is no way that little 15* pump will ever give you 100% results with a set of AD's. They are more oil thirsty than a set of standard stg 1 injectors(160cc).

And to the OP, as Dave stated not all 17* pumps are better than your factory pump. BUT, most all OBS guys that upgraded thier injectors have issues with ICP(throwing CEL). And most do get by with an upgrade to a 17* pump.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
I had quite a difference swapping pumps on my e99. Now I know it had a weak 15* so any pump could have given me the jump in responsiveness and sop power increase, but I was very impressed with the difference it made for me.

Just wanted to throw that out.

Latest posts

Members online