What fuel sensor could make the truck act like it is not getting enough fuel

Jake

Reaction score
Ok this is on a buddies truck.

A few weeks ago he called me the truck was gutless with the trailer, ran just fine at low speed and low demand. As soon as you would get after it there was just nothing there it would barely make 60mph. I was thinking plugged fuel filter. No codes. I changed the filter it ran like it should. I have autoE and nothing was showing up at all.

Now today running back to same symptoms. He took it to a shop and they told him it is a sensor out sending it too much fuel and making it run like that. They said the sensor was not to much money but it was $500 to put the sensor in. I am not real 6.4 savy but $500 to install a sensor ? or is that the standard open the hood charge? I was thinkin for him to hold off and bring me the truck and I would look at the filters and clean out the HFCM on the frame. Could there just be a bunch of junk in there? Where can I check fuel pressure on the truck and what should it be?

Thanks!!

I have a feeling they have gotten some nasty fuel since his daugters truck has the constant fuel in water light. So I think I need to clean it out too. I wonder if there both full of junk is why this truck is running like this.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
the fuel level sensor can cause a derate, so can high fuel temp as well as the rail pressure sensor, but all should have had another symptom and probably a code

Jake

Reaction score
Yeah no codes the other day. Would it set a CEL ? Where is the High temp and Rail pressure sensor?

On the fuel level sensor, does it just derate at low fuel levels ? Can these sensors can be monitored in AE ? Could you see $500 in labor to put in any of these? THe only one I can think of that would be that much would be the fuel level sensor since I imagine the bed would have to be lifted or the tank dropped for that.

Thanks!!

bpb424

Reaction score
I recently had my water in fuel sensor go back and it de-fueled the truck. I opened the HFCM and it was full of gunk in the bottom and the sensor was all gummed up too.
I spent 50$ to buy a gasket and sensor and she's good as new now.

Jake

Reaction score
should all this defueling be able to be seen in AE? Like what is called for and what is given? also can you see signals from these sensors in AE? Sounds like I do need to clean out the HFCM. Is there a seal kit for it? Just need hand tools and the fuel line disconnector for it? Same fuel line tool work for this that works on the 7.3?

Jake

Reaction score
Ok it it the sensor under the valve cover is the code it was giving when it was up there. Ok I remember there was one injection code in trying to remember which one it was. One how bad is it to change that sensor, what does it entail, time? Its looking like in going to have the truck back thursday night. Injection pressure high I think was the code.

Sent by smoke signals

Dzchey21

Reaction score
It's a bit of a pain to get under the right valve cover I have no idea on time 500 from the dealer is prob fair. Its a 100 dollar sensor and 4 hours labor is prob about right

Jake

Reaction score
What has to come off and what other parts would I need going back? If the sensor was failing wouldn't it give a sensor failure code or injection pressure out of range?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
What has to come off and what other parts would I need going back? If the sensor was failing wouldn't it give a sensor failure code or injection pressure out of range?

Could throw and injection.pressure too.high code. Injection pressure low Ect
May not throw a light tho.

As far as what has to come out the intake must come off the glow plug controller and.glow plug harness

I'm not.too.fluent on a.stock truck to be honest mine has been modded for over 2 years with things that simplify valve cover removal.

The valve cover gasket should be reusable. I also think that the egr sensor on.the.right.uppipes.must be unplugged

bpb424

Reaction score
should all this defueling be able to be seen in AE? Like what is called for and what is given? also can you see signals from these sensors in AE? Sounds like I do need to clean out the HFCM. Is there a seal kit for it? Just need hand tools and the fuel line disconnector for it? Same fuel line tool work for this that works on the 7.3?

For the HFCM u just need the gasket. You don't need to remove the fuel lines.
I used this link to help me do it.
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-10-02.php

I can't help ya on the other sensor. That's over my head

dieseljosh07

Reaction score
Would be a good idea to replace the wiring harness under the right valve cover along with the sensor. I have had multiple trucks with FRP sensor issues caused by poor harness connections.

Jake

Reaction score
That would be nice if that is all it is. How much work is it to change the harness section? What is the signal that comes from this sensor? 0-5v ? PWM ? Were the bad spots in the harness under the valve covers?

Latest posts

Members online