Optima Batteries

GO BIG OR GO HOME

Reaction score
Well its about time for a set of batteries. Definately going with Optima replacements.

Red tops vs yellow tops???

Group 31's with their 950 cca???

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

zilla68

Reaction score
if you can, buy online thru advance auto parts, and search for promotion codes, you can save quite a bit, and free shipping.

If you buy 1 one day and one the next or a few days later, use VISA as the promo code and on a 1000cc amp starting battery, you can get it for 141.00, plus tax if they are in your state.

Last edited:

smokedout250

Reaction score
My battery guy said they aren't what they use to be... They are now manufactured in Mexico! he said claims tripled in the first 6 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GO BIG OR GO HOME

Reaction score
Well I can order the 800cca batteries through Optima for $100 each. I just didn't know whether to try the group 31's because they're higher cca. They have an odd shape to them and I can't get them discounted either

QtrHorse

Reaction score
I have been running the 800CCA Red tops for the past 6 years and I have been happy but we don't get much cold weather down South but it does get hot. The Red tops are more of a starting battery and the Yellow tops are more for high drain applications such as for boats, campers and audio applications.

davey99ps

Reaction score
I've been debating on getting optimas myself, but I've heard a lot of negative reveiws of them lately. I've been also looking into oddesy's, they're spose to be a really good battery

GO BIG OR GO HOME

Reaction score
The only aftermarket electronics I run would be my inverter occasionally. It's 4000 watts but I seldom use it. Would I be better off with red tops. I do work up north sometimes

zilla68

Reaction score
could you do one red and one yellow?

I've had a yellow top in my jeep for about 9 years now, still kicking along

BUFF

Reaction score
I have had the blue tops in my truck for a couple of years now and they work great. Its also nice having the extra post for accessories.

Spatel23

Reaction score
spatel23 what is the issue with them? I'm curious

They dont seem strong enough to start the truck. In other words the truck seemed to start quicker and smoother with the Motorcrafts.

They have also went completely dead after leaving the truck for 10 days.

I just dont think they are well suited for a diesel.

Trav-O

Reaction score
They dont seem strong enough to start the truck. In other words the truck seemed to start quicker and smoother with the Motorcrafts.

:whs:

Interstate or Motorcraft batteries have always held up the best for me.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
I had the interstate batteries in my truck and one started going weak, so I swapped em out for a set of red tops after getting a good deal thru advanced auto online.... And like shone says they suck, on a cold morning it feels like they struggle to start the truck and I left my park lights on for 2 hours one day by accident and they were so dead the interior lights didn't even come on. They look nice but if I could I would swap them in a heartbeat for a set of interstates

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
My battery guy said they aren't what they use to be... They are now manufactured in Mexico! he said claims tripled in the first 6 months

Optimas today aren't like they were 6+ years ago. I had an old red top that I swapped between 6 trucks in a couple years & it always did it's job. I sold my old 93 IDI running the same single red top & wouldn't surprise me if it's still in the truck today. Everyone I've known with an Optima bought within the last 5 years since they moved to Mexico said they are trash & went back to a normal style battery.

Zmann

Reaction score
Huge thread over on the nation and I wasn't surprised how many people didn't like there optimas

STROKER

Reaction score

X2 I have had yellow tops in my truck for maybe 6 months and hate them. When the truck sits for over a week it needs a jump, if its cold outside it'll need to be jumped after sitting for about 2 days IMO motorcrafts are the way to go!

blackbetty13

Reaction score

You to?? I was like wtf is going on with these lol

JCart

Reaction score
Have had mine (yellow tops) from Costco iirc 2005 and they have served me well although I think they are fading. They do get put through a workout due to E compressor, inverter etc etc. I think if you look at diehards from sears in the USA they are dry cells. The thing I like about the dry cells is no cleaning of posts compared to the standard lead acid ones.

jrc

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.