Wastegating in the up pipes/turbine inlet

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
I've waste gated a Hypermax T4i mount for Luke's turbo setup. It came out real nice except for one clearance area on the tube that I am not very proud of.

What are you looking to know?

BTW - Charles installed his gate into the turbo housing....

Big Bore

Reaction score
I've waste gated a Hypermax T4i mount for Luke's turbo setup. It came out real nice except for one clearance area on the tube that I am not very proud of.

What are you looking to know?

BTW - Charles installed his gate into the turbo housing....

Yea, thats what I've been told about Charles' 38r, but for some reason I thought it was in the collector, not the housing. So a hole was cut and a base welded to the housing? Where exactly? That seems easier than trying to fab a whole new collector/uppipe setup.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Yea, thats what I've been told about Charles' 38r, but for some reason I thought it was in the collector, not the housing. So a hole was cut and a base welded to the housing? Where exactly? That seems easier than trying to fab a whole new collector/uppipe setup.

Yes a hole was cut and welded to the housing - It was done at a convenient spot on the outside of the scroll as close to the inlet flange of the turbine as possible. I know there are some pics floating around.

I think Bean has a kit now that dumps to atmosphere for a stock turbo/up pipe setup. Might be worth a call.

Big Bore

Reaction score
Yes a hole was cut and welded to the housing - It was done at a convenient spot on the outside of the scroll as close to the inlet flange of the turbine as possible. I know there are some pics floating around.

I think Bean has a kit now that dumps to atmosphere for a stock turbo/up pipe setup. Might be worth a call.

Ok good info. Not sure about dumping to atmo due to the thermal loss, but it may not be an issue with my planned setup either.

907DAVE

Reaction score
This is how I did mine.

Photo0006.jpg

Big Bore

Reaction score
I'm not a turbo expert by any means, but looking at that it looks like it would affect the performance of the turbine by affecting the airflow through it? Turbulence?

Big Bore

Reaction score
Yes its a V44 Tial that has been discontinued and replaced by this.
http://tialsport.com/prod_wg_mvr.htm
If you look at the pics in the link you can see what it comes with. I got mine from www.amsperformance.com, but I am sure a sponsor could hook you up.

Thanks man, found this there. 46mm is cheaper than the new 44mm and comes with all the parts.

Price: $320.00

The PW46 is made from high grade, high temperature stainless steel and billet aluminum components. It features our own purpose designed Kevlar reinforced wastegate diaphragm and a 347 stainless investment cast valve body. Our investment cast valve body has a smooth internal surface, giving you better flow and more accurate boost control. Our PW46 was designed to be a direct replacement for other existing 44mm wastegate flanges, but will work best with the flange provided. The PW46 features a Nickel Chromium Alloy valve and 5 different 17-7 precipitation hardened springs. Also included are stainless steel inlet and outlet flanges with clamps. With a satin black anodized, 6061 aluminum billet wastegate cap you will have years of good looks and protection from the elements. The PW46 is generally compatible with most aftermarket manual and electronic boost controllers on the market today.

Springs are included for a multitude of pressure combinations unlike the Tial where you are locked in to a specific boost pressure unless you purchase additional springs.

Specifications

Larger 46mm valve
Interchangeable with other 44mm v-band style wastegates
Come complete with necessary hardware: Flanges, Clamps, Springs
Black Anodized Gate Cap
Springs from 1.5psi-25.5psi
5 Angle Valve Job
High temp 17-7 ph springs (more durable and can withstand higher temperatures before changing rate)

Note: The PW46 wastegate is compatible with Tials WG44 wastegate weld flange, for a trouble free bolt on replacement.

Latest posts

Members online