DEF Vid has me Leary

BFinMO

Reaction score
So in my quest to finaly decide to make the switch to a 6.7 i ran across a DEF vid on Y-Tbe. Some of the claims had me a bit leary and was curious for some additional info.

Some of the claims were of speed limiting when the DEF falls below a certain level and ultimately the truck becoming completely un-useable if the level falls way to low.

Now if there is validity in this, while I know DEF is readily available in consideration to how often you need to add it, my question falls more on a problematic sesor or something that would just cause an issue alog the road somewhere.

I could be paranoid with the thought I was just curious on the validity of these claims and if anyone has worries or experience with these limiting factors.

quicksilver11

Reaction score
I've gone 7500 miles between DEF fill up's and never once had my speed reduced or any warning sign pop up saying I'm almost out. Just fill it up at every oil change and you should never have an issue. Or like the above poster said, keep a jug with you at all times and never worry about it.

BFinMO

Reaction score
So the truck will actually limit speed etc if levels get low...ok.

And there should be no worrie that at some point a sensor failure would leave you stranded?

BFinMO

Reaction score
.......Now if there is validity in this, while I know DEF is readily available in consideration to how often you need to add it, my question falls more on a problematic sesor or something that would just cause an issue alog the road somewhere. .....

I guess Karma got the best of me on this one. Good thing I wasn't in the middle of KS or something.

Sorry for the crappy pic...

Attachments

• def (2).jpg
    def (2).jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 233

BFinMO

Reaction score
So the truck will actually limit speed etc if levels get low...ok.

And there should be no worrie that at some point a sensor failure would leave you stranded?

And I guess I answered my own question on if it would leave me stranded. :fustrate:

Nope just limit speed. :D

BFinMO

Reaction score
No clue. BUT...I did run into my mechanic who said it must be a sensor as I should see a different screen when I'm out of DEF. In turn he did convience me that they just dont see these trucks in very often and if they do it's something simple, like a sensor. He had to throw that in there. HaHa

BFinMO

Reaction score
Alright I got the truck back earlier. Hopefully the info I got will help someone in the future.

Under the Labor & Parts section it reads as follows: Customer states exhaust fluid fault light on advise test drive. Verified exhaust fluid fault light on. Diesel diag with IDA. Code P204F. Checked OASIS. Found TSB 12-3-5 Reprogrammed PCm and TCM and perormed SCR Dosing meaurment test per TSB 12-3-5 passed. Test drove for 15-20 min.

In short I guess there was something that needed to be re-programed and I was told they added 1gal of DEF.

That being said, I drove it and it was fine on the way home. BUT...when I arrived home it smelled really hot. My complete guess is that it has gone through its first regen phase and that is what I was smelling.? Dont know as I've never owned a DPF truck.

Either way it seems to run fine now.

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
Alright I got the truck back earlier. Hopefully the info I got will help someone in the future.

Under the Labor & Parts section it reads as follows: Customer states exhaust fluid fault light on advise test drive. Verified exhaust fluid fault light on. Diesel diag with IDA. Code P204F. Checked OASIS. Found TSB 12-3-5 Reprogrammed PCm and TCM and perormed SCR Dosing meaurment test per TSB 12-3-5 passed. Test drove for 15-20 min.

In short I guess there was something that needed to be re-programed and I was told they added 1gal of DEF.

That being said, I drove it and it was fine on the way home. BUT...when I arrived home it smelled really hot. My complete guess is that it has gone through its first regen phase and that is what I was smelling.? Dont know as I've never owned a DPF truck.

I say delete it and then there's no need to worry

WoodBoy

Reaction score
My bossman's 2012 kept saying that and limiting him to 50mph. Ended up being a sensor

quicksilver11

Reaction score
I guess Karma got the best of me on this one. Good thing I wasn't in the middle of KS or something.

Sorry for the crappy pic...

First time that happens to me I'm deleting everything. I will not be limited by a retarded emissions system.

quicksilver11

Reaction score

Ya. The exhaust stinks like crap when it's doing a regen and it's ridiculously hot. I put my hand by the exhaust pipe one time during a regen and it singed the hairs off.

tmillburg

Reaction score
they sell DEF fluid at all walmarts, and if your in a bind and cant for some ungodly reason find a walmart and your out, keep your truck runnin all the limits only accure after the truck has been turned off once the fluid is gone

Translated from Morse Code

BFinMO

Reaction score
So it wont actually shut off going down the highway when completely empty? good to know.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.