Train horns and horn switch...

CSIPSD

Reaction score
How are you guys tapping into the factory horn button? Sick of trying to find the little red button when I want to kill someone's ears.

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
why not just change the button placement? I have mine under my steering wheel.

No clue on what to tap in to. The wires in the steering wheel are something I try to stay away from

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Have you seen my dash? Its like swiss cheese now already...LOL

I know alot of people do it this way...

HALO

Reaction score
Unplug your factory horn and run a relay with it to a two way switch, up is factory down train horns?

Betarocker

Reaction score
I have mine wired so that I can use the steering wheel center to activate either the stock horn, the air horn, both or neither. I'd have to look to see where I tapped into the horn wire. I know I used a relay since the factory horn is always hot and gets grounded to activate.

Snake

Reaction score
Can't tell you which wire it is on an 01, but I'm willing to bet its a negative ground like the 05-07's. Meaning the circuit (horn) has power but doesn't honk until you apply the ground when you push the horn button on the steering wheel. If you can find that wire, you can tap it to provide power to your solenoid valve and tie in a switch to toggle between air horn and OEM horn. Which wire is it? I have NO idea, but the members of the12volt.com did.

dsljnky

Reaction score
I'm putting my button ontop of my gauge pillar. :D

But on my old Dodge I just disconnected the city horn and tapped the wires to the air horn solinoid

sagebel

Reaction score
I'm running the wire that feeds the stock horns to a three position switch. Outputs of the switch are to the stock horns or the air valve solenoid or off.

Jake

Reaction score
subscribed. I did this on my obs, and need to do it on the SD now. Just didnt know what wire. The OBS was green with red tracer iirc

CSIPSD

Reaction score
dark blue wire. negative trigger off of steering wheel harness.

I'm pretty good with electrical stuff, so tell me if I am wrong. I need a positive trigger for the Train horns, but the factory horn is negative triggered.

So what I need is to tap into the factory horn wire, to a SPDT switch then to a relay, the negative trigger from the factory horn will simply complete the circuit and close my Train horn relay...

flunking negative triggers...:doh:

Snake

Reaction score
Basically you use the horn wire as the ground for the relay. If you're using a switch to toggle back and forth between your factory horn and the train horn, that switch will supply power to the relay but the relay won't have a ground until you push the horn button on your steering wheel. Power for the solenoid valve should obviously route through the relay.

Jake

Reaction score
When I did mine I grabbed the hour that goes to the horn, ran that to my solenoid, then the other side of my solenoid wire to the right write under the dash. Or just chase your horn writes back and hook them up to your solenoid.

Latest posts

Members online