RP Surge (Highway Speed)

WoodBoy

Reaction score
I returned my truck to stock Friday (17th) and programmed my trucks PCM back to an older strategy via Livewire that Eric sent me, I then reprogrammed my truck with my livewire to the Ex street tune. It was fairly warm Friday night since a front was coming in, then Saturday it rained all day, didnt drive much. Tonight I was headed to the gf's when I started having rail pressure surge at 53-57ish mph (1300-1400ish? Rpm, 7.5-9 PPS).
The rail pressure would fluctuate anywhere from 45-62Mpa (6500-9300psi).

This is the first night it has been cooler (48*F) outside. Humid conditions (85%). I just got done installing my Newton traction bars so it ruled out touchy throttle. As long as my PPS was >10, it didnt do it, or if i let out, it also quit. It DOES do it with cruise control at the same speed. Im wondering if this is cold/tune related? No DTCs.

I hope I have everything covered

gman1

Reaction score
Mine does the exact same thing. Eric said its something I have to live with. This is what he wrote me when I emailed him.

I've seen the issue you are having many, many times with all tuners on
the market. If a truck has the issue, it usually has the issue on
both the Race and Xtreme Street. You are fortunate the Race doesn't
do it. I built a new tune called Xtreme Mild for the trucks that have
the issue, it softens the affects. It's related to the HPFP, but only
happens when the trucks are loaded(Converter locked) at low throttle.

Xstreet is the worst for me so I use Xrace all the time. I still get it on Xrace but not as bad. The way I get around the problem is to click tow/haul at about 45mph and just cruise at higher rpms.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Yeah well Im waiting on Ted to call me back. It didnt do it with the newer ford flash, I know it doesnt fuel as hard, but this is also at anything under 10 on the PPS just at those speeds. Maybe we can figure something out.

Anybody know at what temp the computer goes to the cold weather mode pretty much

gman1

Reaction score
I have one of the older flashes from about 2 years ago. It only does it at about 50-57 mph with light throttle. I can actually watch rail pressure bounce between 6000 and 9000 psi. I just learn to live with it by using tow/haul.
It does not matter what the temp it is either. It happens summer or winter.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same on the high way but I'm pretty sure it's dual fueler related. Are you guys getting a shutter or more like a surge? Mine sorta feels like the converter is shuttering but it's not.

Matt@gearhead already wrote me a tune that seams to have fixed the problem already

gman1

Reaction score
Mine feels like a stutter. It happens about 4-5 seconds after the converter locks.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Same here really fast shutter.. It is annoying as hell because I cant drive that speed because the amount of throttle I give to keep the constant speed of anywhere from 52-58mph roughly, is less than 10 on the PPS so it does it constantly, if i go above 10 on the PPS, my truck is then accelerating. If it starts doing it, i set the cruise, it still keeps doing it so what the hell?

Last edited:

MINK

Reaction score
LOL mine does it....annoys me so much I have been running STREET - whats weird is mine sat for a month while doing the heads and then started doing it when I got it back. Doing the trans in acouple weeks so maybe ill give the big tunes a try again then.

Ted recomended I get my tunes updated - I'd be interested in trying some new tunes if I have to as id like to run the race tunes 90% of the time.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
I would get mine updated if they had a newer update out, but they are the newest ones that they have LOL, and I like the street tune, but Ill buy a Spartan or ETC before running the street all the time

MINK

Reaction score
I would get mine updated if they had a newer update out, but they are the newest ones that they have LOL, and I like the street tune, but Ill buy a Spartan or ETC before running the street all the time

I dont want to swith tuners but I will if thats what it takes to drive the darn thing

Dzchey21

Reaction score
For anyone that has a livewire I would give.Matt at gearhead a shout. If his.stock turbo.tunes are anything like the modded truck tunes you.guys will be happy. Power is great low smoke and very responsive without the.touchy pedal

MINK

Reaction score
For anyone that has a livewire I would give.Matt at gearhead a shout. If his.stock turbo.tunes are anything like the modded truck tunes you.guys will be happy. Power is great low smoke and very responsive without the.touchy pedal

Good deal - I'm also gona see how Chris @ TSD is coming along with hiss 6.4 stuff.

Are you able to keep the current files aswell as the new from say Matt on the livewire?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Good deal - I'm also gona see how Chris @ TSD is coming along with hiss 6.4 stuff.

Are you able to keep the current files aswell as the new from say Matt on the livewire?

Yep matts tunes go in the custom file folder and erics stay on the preloaded tunes side so its easy to.switch best off all no reloading to.stock to.switch tuning companies. Ill be honest tho I havent ran an innovative tune in a long time because matts tuning works so well with my set up.

MINK

Reaction score
Yep matts tunes go in the custom file folder and erics stay on the preloaded tunes side so its easy to.switch best off all no reloading to.stock to.switch tuning companies. Ill be honest tho I havent ran an innovative tune in a long time because matts tuning works so well with my set up.

Good info to know - thanks bro

Latest posts

Members online