Fifth Wheel for my rig?

budro

Reaction score
Never owned one, know I need a slider. Looking for words of wisdom.....

I plan on taking the DJM back up to the highest setting, that's about 3" lower than stock IIRC. I don't have overloads anymore, so bags are probably in my future as well. I'll post a picture of the truck for those who don't know about it.

I would prefer a bumper pull, but looks like I'll be going in halves with my FIL on the trailer, and it will be a fiver.
ad8736a5-f99c-229b.jpg

ad8736a5-f9f3-9265.jpg

ad8736a5-fa9d-e6d6.jpg

Rear was at 6" drop in both those photos, and riding the bump stops. Adjusted all the way up, I'll have about 3.5" axle clearance unloaded.

-Bryan

6.0 p-stroke

Reaction score
We pull our big 5th wheel with a shortbed without a slider hitch. The truck has just a regular reese 5th wheel hitch but on the trailer it has a special hitch that wedges into the hitch on the truck and causes it to pivot under the nose of the trailer, if that makes sense. It also has a built in airbag on the hitch for a softer ride. I think it's called like 5th airborne or something like that, I'll look at it when I get home

oldschool

Reaction score
I've got 5th wheel camper and goose neck horse trailer. Convereted the 5th wheel to gooseneck. no wasted space in the bed when not in use.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
I think what his biggest concern is towing with a lowered truck. Unfortunately I don't have any solid input on this subject, the only real recommendation I have is to get a set of air bags for the rear. You might try talking to UNBROKEN, I remember him knowing a few people with slammed dually's that towed quite a bit. Maybe he'll have some insight.

jngreen

Reaction score
A fifth wheel or gooseneck is going to pull better than a comparitively sized bumper pull.

Sprman

Reaction score
Get yourself a B&W turnover ball and get the companion hitch for it. The companion hitch (5th wheel) can be removed and set aside when not needed. You also can adjust the height and position of the hitch for your set up. I have one and also have a shortbed and don't have any issues when i tow my 5th wheel camper. They are a little pricey, but well worth it, and sometimes you can find a companion used and save some money.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.