hpop has 0 psi. no start

fyrehose

Reaction score
My friends truck died while driving. Hooked up to AE and shows 0 ICP. Checked reservoir and no oil. Filled reservoir with oil. Tried 4 times to start truck and no pressure. I disconnected the ICP sensor and it showed pressure building upto 2280 psi. Still no start. When I plug the sensor back in I get 0 ICP.

IPR duty cycle builds higher and higher as we crank over the engine.

Cps is not the problem. checked codes and nothing.
What do you think is the problem.
It has an adrenaline pump.

fyrehose

Reaction score
We tried again, this time we are seeing about 35 psi of icp. Also did an injector buzz test and it passed. I am thinking IPR?

Marty

Reaction score
ICP came up without sensor plugged in because its defaulting values with the pcm.

Put a mechanical gauge on the head. If still low you are bleeding off a serious pressure.

Portapower time..... pressure test each head individually.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Mechanical guage.

I've never used AE, so i couldn't tell you. Marty would be able to tell you though, i know he uses AE quite often

Powerstroke Cowboy

Reaction score
Is the HPOP resevor still draining???

Is the ICP sensor leaking oil through it?? is it oily were you plug the icp connector in??

Tom S

Reaction score
With some fittings you can also isolate the heads to see if the pressure is being bleed off on one side or the other. It is possible to build a tester out of a lever grease gun as well.

The attachment might help.

Attachments

• HPOP Manual.pdf
    812.1 KB · Views: 111

fyrehose

Reaction score
Is the HPOP resevor still draining???
HPOP is still full after numerous attempts to start.

Is the ICP sensor leaking oil through it?? is it oily were you plug the icp connector in??
ICP sensor is not leaking oil. No oil in the plug.

ICP never made it past 35 psi. Duty cycle increases as cranking increases.

Leading toward a bad pump.

Last edited:

Marty

Reaction score
You have to read oil pressure mechanically. At the reservoir, oil cooler or another port along the side of the block.

I've never seen a "bad" pump go from starting a truck to only making 35 psi... it just doesn't happen that way.

You can't rely on the factory lpop gauge, I have a trk in the shop that reads "fine" but has 0 psi of oil pressure right now. As a result has a horrible knock to it now.

fyrehose

Reaction score
You have to read oil pressure mechanically. At the reservoir, oil cooler or another port along the side of the block.After numerous cranking attempts, HPOP and reservoir are still full of oil.It should atleast start for a brief moment.

I've never seen a "bad" pump go from starting a truck to only making 35 psi... it just doesn't happen that way.

The truck was running good until it just shut down while driving. Initial thought was CPS.
You can't rely on the factory lpop gauge, I have a trk in the shop that reads "fine" but has 0 psi of oil pressure right now. As a result has a horrible knock to it now.

There is no knock and the truck ran good.

fyrehose

Reaction score
I will try to see if he can put a gauge on the reservoir somewhere and test for pressure. What pressure should I see from the LPOP?

Marty

Reaction score
It will probably shoot up to about 30-40psi or so when you first start it, as the oil thins out (EOT's come up)... it should taper down to ~15 psi or so.

I don't think you have LPoil issue though, which is why I cut to the chase and suggested you pressurize the heads to check for HPoil leaks.

Blowby

Reaction score
When you installed the new HPOP was it tq'd to 95 #'s?
Open the inspection cover to access the gear and see if the bolt backed off

Marty

Reaction score
When you installed the new HPOP was it tq'd to 95 #'s?
Open the cover to access the gear and see if the bolt backed off

JW, have you ever seen that happen? I personally have not, except on BTS dual pump setup and then it was only the top one.

fyrehose

Reaction score
Was it TQ'd to spec?

That crossed my mind. However the pump has been installed for 40,000 miles. Going to see if we can pressure test the rails. Although if there was a leaky injector o ring, the truck would of ran like crap and smoked for a few seconds before it died. The truck had a sudden shut down, just like a cps. No smoke.
I have a feeling the pump died??

Last edited: