obs cummins swap

fordf550

Reaction score
ok, so the story goes like this. i have a new adrenaline HPOP, beans stage 1's, ts 6 pos chip afe stage 2 pro guard 7 filter, new icp and ipr, beans idm mod. ccv mod. new ford valve cover gaskets, injector harness's, glow plugs new external harness for injectors/glow plugs. reman lift pump. reman alternator reman water pump. im tired of the stroke. it needs up pipes in a bad way, the turbo is as shot as shot gets without shaft coming out on the ground from the tail pipe. the y collector studs look like tooth picks as well as up pipe to manifold bolts. ALL new above mentioned stuff has 4k miles on it. im in the air about what to do, i got a 12 valve p pump with a hybrid turbo, needs nothing sept put it. what you do??? the 7.3 has 139k on motor, 12 valve has 180k update to new 7.3 turbo and pre turbo exhaust or jam 12 valve in?:fustrate:

Last edited:

DieselCowboy

Reaction score
The way I see it is you already have the 7.3L in the truck and all you need to do is spend around $2000 on turbo and plumbing and the motor will just bolt right up. On the other hand you have a 12valve that will require you spending around $2000 just to get the parts to mount it into the truck. Plus you will be modifying the exhaust, fuel lines, and other odds and ends. So you will be spending more money and time to get it running. I know how you feel with swapping but I would at least change the turbo and plumbing on the 7.3 and drive it while I accumulated the parts for the cummins swap. I am swapping my 7.3 out when it decides to take a crap but for now I am stocking parts for a CR 5.9. It all just depends on how badly you need to drive the truck right now and if you want to spend that much money on it.

bad12jr

Reaction score
To be honest as much time and effort as you have put into the stroke I'd drop a t4 mount and s366 in it and let it eat. You could even sell the Cummins to fund it. I'd love to do a cummins swap but I would not remove a low mileage stroke to put it in place. A blown 6.0 or gasser yes in a heartbeat.

Also the little headache of changing up pipes and charger is nothing compared to completely pulling the engine, which will still reguire pulling the turbo and unbolting the trans and a whole lot of other stuff. Plus making your gauges talk and if you have an auto making it work or putting a standalone TCM in.

Your in my almost in my boat. Way to far past cutting my loses and going with something else.

fordf550

Reaction score
i agree with every comment on here so far. in the diesel world a 6bt is another 350 chevy. and there aint anything worse then seeing a good looking mustang with a gm heart. i guess sitting here pi$$ed off makes a cummins seem like a weekend job just drop it in the roll the key, but in reality thats not how it works, if anybody has any late 7.3 stuff laying around taking up space let me know.

chappy

Reaction score
I'd put the 12v in. I love my buddys obs truck that he put one in. Granted it started out as a 460 gasser but it sure is a fun ride with the 12v. Its getting all repainted now and with buying the ex cab truck and all the parts for the swap and a new paint job hes got 10k into it. That included having to buy a zf5 tranny, all the adapters and the truck itself plus a new rust free box and 3k for a paint job. He got the motor free from his brother so he saved there. Its so clean in the engine compartment and looks great and drives great.

Latest posts

Members online