Headlight lense sealant

Strokersace

Reaction score
For the guys that have taken their headlights apart to install projector HID's or to custom paint them:

What sealant did you use to reseal the clear front lense to the housing? Out of all the aftermarket headlights I've ran over the years, my current ones (had for 2 years now) have started leaking on the pass side. So before it completely destroys my HID bulb on that side, I need to take it apart, get all the moisture out and reseal it.

I will eventually put projector retrofits into the headlights, but have already decided that I will buy new lenses at that time also.

So what do you guys use?

Thanks,

sickslow

Reaction score
I used a tube of urathane windshield replacement sealant from the local auto parts store. It comes in a tube that looks like calk. I have done 2 sets of 6.0 lights and a '05 cummins and they are all still perfectly sealed. cost about $10 I think

golfer

Reaction score
Why the Nissan specifically?

the other sealants like RTV will off-gas and 'etch' the inside of the lens over time.

check out some hid forums (yes, they exist, LOL)...and I think you'll find that the consensus is to use the Nissan Butyl

Strokersace

Reaction score
LOL! Thanks!

I may just go with the RTV for now just to get it sealed back up and going. When I finally get around to doing the projector retrofit, then I'll get a new set of headlight lenses and do it right.

Phiber Optik

Reaction score
i used a household exterior grade black silicone, seems to have worked fine for me, stays flexible unlike the factory stuff which goes rock hard!

Latest posts

Members online