Double din install help

Triple H

Reaction score
Apparently aftermarket double din radios are different in dimensions and aren't an exact fit in the oem dash pocket.

Tonight I bought a JVC kw-av60bt with a 6.1 display I think. Sales person checked several of their install/application sources and they all say this radio along with the matching install kit will fit my 2004 SD.

Who has any experience with aftermarket head units and what has to be trimmed? Is it just the square lips that stop the oe unit? I don't want to hack up my dash anywhere beyond that.

Thanks for reading

Triple H

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I began the project today. Just a little more trimming of those bars and it should come together nicely. The detachable screen fits nicely in the OE pocket.

When it comes to the emergency brake over-ride, do you ground out the wire or apply power to it?

Fantom

Reaction score
I just grounded mine to the support that the bracket the factory radio sits on. Does the whole face of that stereo come off, or just the portion with the buttons?

Triple H

Reaction score
Once I trimmed the lips by hand using a 1" rasp it fit VERY slick! I'll work on some picture uploads next.

Yes the entire display ejects just like the face plates on a single din. It's the only DVD headunit with a fully removeable screen. The sound is great! I haven't upgraded the wiring or speakers yet but it's quality.

There's a ton of avi input-outputs on the rear, has the port for SXM antennea bug, can buy an RCA terminal/iPod harness for video, it has the USB remote wire for iPhone compatibilty and Pandora, front headphone jack, Bluetooth for handsfree and external microphone.

I haven't played any videos yet but the demo screen has a good picture

Triple H

Reaction score
Building adapter harness. Heat shrink butt connectors and heat shrink tubing.
solderwire.jpg

wirecomplete.jpg

The lips top and bottom that you trim flush.
lip.jpg

Leave the side lips.
trimmed.jpg

The radio is installed without the "can" using this install kit which is 2 plastic pieces that utilize the holes and screws on the side from the "can"
download.jpg

And voila!!
finish.jpg

The old 6 disc
open.jpg

peek.jpg

The cause or demise of the failure! The disc was very fragile so I'm thinkin it splintered causing the jam.
cracked.jpg

Lyrch

Reaction score
Was going to order mine but havent had time yet. It seems some places sell them with the remote some dont. The price also differs from 300 to 400.

Triple H

Reaction score
My model didn't come with remote but that may be where the price differential comes from. Also, I'm just throwing this out since I don't know if others know, but they are capable of working with '05+ models with steering wheel radio controls. There's a kit available and the radio is compatible/wired for such.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.