Little Jeep Project

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
Well, I'm helping out my nieghbor and decided I would do a simple brake job on his Jeep. It's a 82 CJ7. Has NO brakes. First thing I did was check the master cylinder for brake fluid. The rear(larger) reservoir is bone dry. Obviously there is a leak somewhere. Is the larger reservoir for the front or rear brakes? I can't remember for the life of me.

I took off the rear tires and drums. Passenger rear is completely covered/soaked with grease/oil. I'm thinking that the axle seal may be leaking. The wheel(brake) cylinder is probably leaking as well and the dust cover on it is torn up pretty good. The driver side looks pretty good, just need new shoes.

The front is a different story. Haven't even got the tires off. He has locking lug nuts and I don't have the special socket to get them off, and I don't know if he has it or not. Don't want to break them off or destroy them if he has it. But just in case, what's the easiest way to get those damn things off without it?

I'm not sure of how much lift is on this thing but he is running 33x12.50x15 BFG AT's. It's a pretty cool little beach runner.

Here's a few pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0212.JPG
    IMG_0212.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0213.JPG
    IMG_0213.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0214.JPG
    IMG_0214.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0215.JPG
    IMG_0215.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 38

fine69

Reaction score
Looks like the body is in really good shape! If I recall correctly, the larger portion of the master Cylinder is for the front. I've welded an old lug nut onto a locking lug to break it loose before when I lost the socket for it. Good Luck. I'd also recommend replacing both wheel cylinders if youre going to do a brake job for your neighbor. The oil could be rear end oil or brake fluid. Best to be sure and replace everything.

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
Well, I got the lugs off. After looking everything over, it needs wheel cylinders, replaced 5 wheel studs, needs axle seals, and both calipers need to be replaced. Quick little brake job has turned into quite the project. It's cool though. I don't mind helping him out.

03 tx pwr stroke

Reaction score
Finisged up the Jeep today. Took longer than I anticipated with having to chase parts all over South Texas. Now the problem I have is my neighbor is insisting on paying me, but also insists on me telling him how much. Ordinarily, I wouldn't charge a friend for this type of thing, but I could use the extra cash and like I said, he insists. I have no idea what to charge for this and I hate to mix friendship with business. I have about 18 hrs into it. Any ideas?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.