American Bass amps

thuglike

Reaction score
Has anyone heard or used one of these amps?

I've seen a bunch of guys up here running them and they swear by them.

I just get a little weary of a claimed 1600w ab amp going for under 300.

Any info is appreciated.

jdc753

Reaction score
I've heard of them but only for MASSIVE like 5kw amps for competition systems (VFL series), never heard much about any smaller amps. Never heard anything bad about them, most who use them seem to like them, just don't see all too many people running them.

$300 for a brand new 1600w amp is definitely on the cheap side but not too far out, seems right around the price point for Hifonics amps, but I would bet the American Bass amps are of better quality.

thuglike

Reaction score
Thanks...I've seen, after some research, alot of the competitors use the vfl line.

Those look like bad a$$ amps, just don't see much info on the sq line. Everyone that has them seem to really like them. For the $...I may just see what they are all about.

Comes with a birth cert and a 2 year warrenty...can't be too bad.

jdc753

Reaction score
Yea I don't think I would have any hesitations to use them. Seems they got started when a few people from Hifonics defected away. Not sure when it happened but maybe it was around the time that Hifonics got bought out.

If the price is right I say go for it, will probably serve you for many many years to come.

jdc753

Reaction score
I honestly don't know. I know the information is out there somewhere but couldn't quite pull the answer in the 5-10 minutes I gave hunting. I know most all of the sundown amps are Zenon based boards which are quite popular and I would venture to guess the American Bass amps being similar but I really don't know. Zenon boards are good and great for the big power, but not quite the old school Zed audio goodness.

thuglike

Reaction score
I saw the real price...they are 450.00...that makes me feel better about the quality.

But now the guy that quoted me...I wonder if it was a referb.

jdc753

Reaction score
Is $450 the MSRP? or what another retailer is selling it for?

Audio can get complicated price wise, for example (just one I am quite familiar with) Sundown Audio Saz1500D has an MSRP of $799 (from the sundown site) but is listed on woofersetc.com (an authorized sundown dealer) $525 and can be bought all day long used (gently, near new condition) for about $350

More common brands will have much more varying pricing when you compare MSRP, Authorized retailer price, and unathorized retailer price.

Best thing I could think if you are skeptical about the price would be to call up American Bass and see if the guy who is quoting you the low price is an authorized dealer. I would think companies like American Bass wouldn't have a huge network of dealers.

thuglike

Reaction score
MSRP IS 575.00.

One dealer quoted me 399.00

The other 250.00. I called American Bass...he is an authorized dealer. I gave AB the serial # of the amp the guy is selling me and it checked out as a NITB. Never used or referb'd. I have delt with this dealer before and trusted him but I was checking on AB more than him. The boards are Zenon based and I got a guarantee from AB that the will do the listed output or I can keep the amp along with a full refund. At this point I have nothing to lose in trying it..so I am. Also, the main designers of the amp are transplants from Hifonics and Zapco. They also claim 100% made in the USA but I find that hard to believe. I also looked at alot of competition set-ups and 1 of the top guys is running 3 SQ 945's. If it works for him..it's gotta do the job for my modest set-up.

We will see.

jdc753

Reaction score
Well that solidifies it for me. If they are Zenon based then I really doubt there is much difference if anything from Sundown amps, other than heatsink and maybe some components (capacitors, etc) and for that price really can't be beat.

Really sounds like you hit a home run on this one :D Wondering if I'll make it down to Englishtown this year for all truck nationals and might get a chance to check out all the changes to the truck.

thuglike

Reaction score
My system is far from great but it is by far the best sounding system I've ever owned.

My amps are mounted directly to the back wall and wiring is exposed if you remove the seat back...but you can't see any of it with the seat back in so I really don't care.

My tweeters are mounted on the door panels right by the sail panels on a surface mounting cup pointed at the dome light. I had them in a few spots and they sounded best right there. I should make a mounting cup out from the bottom of the sail panel..but once again I don't compete and it looks good enough for me. It's clean and performs perfectly. Once I get the bigger Amp to power my hugh mids(I'm powering them right now at 75 per) they should sound even better.....I hope

jdc753

Reaction score
Niice, many times its the pieced together systems that sound the best, and in the end of it all when the dust settles the only person's opinion who matters is yourself. If the person who spends countless hours in the truck day after day is happy then its all a win :D

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
Sundown Audio and Incriminator Audio are the only amps ive used as sub amps and been pleased with other than an RD 3250 V.1 which is a Sundown Copy. Crescendo Audio is a copy of Sundown amps with a little bit better warranty.

If you want quality audio gear i stick behind sundown and IA. Jacob and Nick care about their companies and with that you get very good customer service.

there is a lot of other companies i would use and i can help you out on almost any company, if anyone has questions feel free to PM me or ask me here. I was a competitor for a few years and am about to get back in it.

Latest posts

Members online