triton v10 to 7.3 questions

snorcr31

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 01 cclb 4x4 v10 4r100 and was wondering what I all need to do a complete 7.3 swap?? I was informed I need well obviously a motor, engine wiring, dash wiring, ecm. Im fairly good at mechanical know how. I have replaced motors before in cars, but never a swap like this. So any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!! :ford:

Bugman

Reaction score
Start at the rear end of a donor truck and go all the way to the inner cooler. All the wire, dash, and pedal assembly along with possibly the fuel tank.

BigRed97

Reaction score
Start at the rear end of a donor truck and go all the way to the inner cooler. All the wire, dash, and pedal assembly along with possibly the fuel tank.

yup....you'll need an entire donnor truck

the body harness of the v10 truck will work(you may have to move 2 pins depending on the year of each truck) but aside from that, only the sheet metal and suspension will work

the fuel tank will also work if you knock of the baffles for the in tank gasoline pump(only worth it if the gas truck has the bigger tank)

I did this whole swap last fall...

if you have any specific Q's feel free to PM me

ToMang07

Reaction score
Unless you can ravage a junkyard for free... probably cheaper to buy a whole (donor) truck.

co04cobra

Reaction score
You will need a donor truck. I have a complete donor truck for sale. PM me if I can help.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
It can be done without a donor truck, but there are so many stupid little things you'll need it would almost be worth saving the headache and buying a donor truck and parting out what goes unused.

Viking

Reaction score
Do people price cummins as expensive as they do near me? My god its like gold to people....fools gold to me. I would just sell what ya got and buy a new truck.

Copracr

Reaction score
I'm doing this swap right now. Have a donor truck or dont do it. There are just too many things to piece together. You would spend so much on those little parts that you really could have bought the truck with the 7.3 (or 6.4 or 24v or whatever electronic motor you care for)

Now if you dont have a donor truck I would do a 12v cummins (or 7.3 idi). Reason being is all those electronics are eliminated and the cost of getting them to play together. Add a manual trans that bolts DIRECTLY to the engine and it would be do-able for under 4k. More than 4k seems to be the cut off where you could just sell your truck and get the diesel equipped truck you want without the headaches.

as an example - how much you think it would cost to add hydroboost? even a used unit with new lines would set you back hundreds. And there are lots of things like that you would need.

Last edited:

Copracr

Reaction score
Do people price cummins as expensive as they do near me? My god its like gold to people....fools gold to me. I would just sell what ya got and buy a new truck.

Start at 1500 around me. They are heavily over priced. They are nice motors, but most of them have high or "unknown" mileage and people are getting 2000 for them. I wouldn't pay more than 500 for a decent condition 12v with any real mileage on it. I just wouldnt expect the motor to make it to 200K so it would need a rebuild right off. Maybe they do go further than 200k, but you dont see many go that far in those dodge rams.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Start at 1500 around me. They are heavily over priced. They are nice motors, but most of them have high or "unknown" mileage and people are getting 2000 for them. I wouldn't pay more than 500 for a decent condition 12v with any real mileage on it. I just wouldnt expect the motor to make it to 200K so it would need a rebuild right off. Maybe they do go further than 200k, but you dont see many go that far in those dodge rams.

$1000-$1500 is the going rate for a 12v, and $2k-$3k plus for a commonrail cummins. They aren't cheap, but they are great engines that last a long time. I don't know how many 12 valves you've been around, but my dodge with a 12v has 255,xxx miles on it and it still runs strong. No different than a 7.3 though, if you maintain them properly you should be able to pull 400k miles out of these light duty diesel's in my opinion.

Copracr

Reaction score
I didn't mean to knock the 5.9, its just up here in NE Ohio we think it's great fun to throw salt on $40,000 trucks and watch them rust away. The dodges don't last long under those conditions.

Personally I'd take an old 5.9 over an old 7.3. The 7.3 without a turbo was a bit of a dog

TrailerHauler

Reaction score
Oh, certainly. We have the same problem up here in Michigan, the truck chassis won't make it past 200k. The guy I bought my dodge from told me he never drove it in the winter, and I believe him because with the miles on mine it should have holes through the floor from the rust!

Back on topic, I agree that a donor truck should be used to swap a v10 to a 7.3. I'm in the process of helping a friend with this swap and the wiring is nothing but a nightmare so fare. The most helpful route we've found is to have another superduty with a 7.3 to look at.

79schaefer

Reaction score
Donor truck is the only way to go. It is how I did mine. If it was electrical, it was used from the donor truck.

Steve S.
To many to list.