Finally installed new shocks - Bilstein 5100's

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
I have been running some really rough factory Rancho shocks on the truck since I dropped it back down. They had over 100K miles on them when I picked them up from a friend, when I lifted his truck.

Anyway, I ordered some Bilstein 5100's from Cary at CT Performance. Fast, smooth transaction, would recommend him to anyone!! They have been sitting in the garage for weeks cause I have been slammed with work. I finally got a chance to put them on today.

I wrestled the front ones for quite a while cause I couldn't get the upper nuts tight because the shaft of the shock kept spinning. I finally contacted Cary and he told me to stick an allen wrench (6mm by the way) in the top of the stem :doh: Guess I should have looked them over better before sticking them on the truck lol. So once I had that little bit of info, they tightened right up!! Back ones went on no problem. I have only made a short trip to pick up dinner but they ride great. I'll get some more miles and some rougher terrain on them this week and provide some feedback, but so far I'm VERY happy.

Here are the front shocks I put on:

fd3e98c3.png

New front shocks next to the old ones:

52ad5e62.png

These are the rear shocks I installed:

cd1e8702.png

New rear shocks next to the old ones:

b6ef9e5c.png

florida 6.0

Reaction score
I really like mine but had to replace the bushings after a year or so because they split on me . Was told its a common thing on these shocks.Wash board roads are alot more fun .

Dzchey21

Reaction score
curious to see how you like the rears, i really need new shocks in the back of my truck

co04cobra

Reaction score
Planning on ordering a set this week. Let us know how much difference you notice. Hoping they will help with some hop when pulling also.

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
Thats what everyone seems to think. But they are listed as:

F4-BE5-C336-H0 for the rear with 0"-1" of lift

F4-BE5-C335-H0 for the front with 0"-1" of lift

STROKIN N STYLE

Reaction score
I like that shock alot. I'm running duals on the front of the 450, even though it isn't exactly a soft ride, it's better than it was

Tom S

Reaction score
I really like it when members take the time to include some nice photos like that. I am looking forward to no more yellow shocks courtesy of CT Performance.

DocBar

Reaction score
Do any of you guys have any experience with these shocks on a truck with a Ranchhand full bumper replacement? I'm thinking of buying these shocks because the Rancho 5000's can't handle it.

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
Quality shocks can handle anything but your springs may not be up to the extra weight..those are Heavy!

We can get silver Bilsteins for stock height trucks. Please PM me if I can help.

Cary

jwlandry

Reaction score
Do any of you guys have any experience with these shocks on a truck with a Ranchhand full bumper replacement? I'm thinking of buying these shocks because the Rancho 5000's can't handle it.

id like to know this as well. My ranchhand is a shock killer.

DocBar

Reaction score
Quality shocks can handle anything but your springs may not be up to the extra weight..those are Heavy!

We can get silver Bilsteins for stock height trucks. Please PM me if I can help.

Cary
Maybe get heavier duty springs and add the bilsteins?

OBSWIZ

Reaction score
I would get Ford X codes and Bilsteins with that Bumper..

X — F81A-5310-AFA, 6,000 lb. will lift the front 1.5-2" ..this is over stock without a bumper so should give you the same 1.5-2" additional.

TxFireman1972

Reaction score
Well I have been driving the truck for a couple of weeks with the new Bilsteins. I have to say, I am pretty disappointed with the rear bilsteins. They seem VERY stiff. Seems like they are too stiff for the rear end of the truck. I don't think I will be leaving these on, and will be exploring other options. The factory ranchos with 100+ miles rode way better than these Bilsteins (rear ones). Wish I wouldn't have thrown them out, because I would be putting the rear ranchos back on.

The fronts seem to be ok, I guess the weight of the motor over them helps. After all the praise I heard about bilsteins, I am definitely let down as far as the rears go. Any suggestions would be great.

jwlandry

Reaction score
i have rears on mine and after some ruff riding and a blown out shock that bilstein wont warranty.... Im done with them.

Latest posts

Members online