water/meth nozzle placement

Urban Wheeler

Reaction score
finally getting around to installing my water/meth setup. its a cooling mist single pump kit with two nozzles. i am wondering how close together the nozzles can be, or if it matters. the easiest place for me to put them is in the pre-intercooler pipe, 16-18" apart.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
I put my single nozzle right in the intake y right above the aih plug.

I guess I should clarify. I mean on a standard rotation turbo. My gt42.

Last edited:

farm boy

Reaction score
finally getting around to installing my water/meth setup. its a cooling mist single pump kit with two nozzles. i am wondering how close together the nozzles can be, or if it matters. the easiest place for me to put them is in the pre-intercooler pipe, 16-18" apart.

Both my nozzles are in the cold side intercooler pipe about 12-14 inches apart. I welded bungs into the pipe, that way I can just put in a plug if I only want to run one nozzle, or take it off for some reason.

vanderchevy18

Reaction score
Hmm. I may move mine, but I think there's enough of an angle where its installed that it would drain back into the intercooler. I'll look at it. Thanks trimmer.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I would be leary of installing nozzles on the hot side, if you have any issues it will build up in the IC. Cold side IC for your normal nozzles and then I have one that comes on at 25psi on the hot side.

The nozzles can be right next to each other or about where ever you want them, I can post up some pictures later.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
if you put it on the hot side, you turn in into steam. steam is hot. you would lose the cooling of the water, imo.

steam would then get cooled in the ic and turn back to water, but its no longer fine atomization. its condensate thats gonna puddle in the bottom of the ic. any atomization that would remain would hit the ic and collect on the walls rather than flow straight through it, as it has to change paths so many times. but thats just speculation.

thuglike

Reaction score
Cold side IC pipe. 4 nozzles spaced evenly apart on the entire length. (after the lower rise)

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
I put my single nozzle right in the intake y right above the aih plug.

I guess I should clarify. I mean on a standard rotation turbo. My gt42.

i dont have a gt 42, and dont know where yours are drilled/mounted at. if you put it in the "spider" thats a questionable location.

"when you shut the truck off, the hose will drain itself, through the nozzle. maybe couple drops, maybe more, depending on the nozzle you have there, and how you have the hose run. if its in the spider, its goin into the intake, and worst case scenario, runs straight onto the top of the piston hydrolocking it. i have had one do that. just one, but ones enough to make me mention it."

thats word for word my conversation with the guy that owns coolingmist, he was manning the tech line at like 9pm one day. i was just gonna leave a message. anyways, i was picking brain on nozzle placement options, and thats where he told me not to put them, and why. he recommended the cold side ic pipe, as when it drains it goes into the ic, then steams itself out.

on a side note, i wonder if putting it in the hot side would steam clean the inside of the ic, getting the ccv oil deposits out of there? or at least by the outlet so you can drain them or rinse them out.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
You should not have any water "leaking" into the intake, thats what the shunt valve is for. When the pump is not on, the shunt is shut and you get NO flow.

DO NOT RUN WATER INJECTION WITHOUT ONE...

I used to run one nozzle on the hot side that came on above 25psi... Dont know if it had any cleaning effect but it did really drop pre IC temps.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
and how much line you got between the shunt and the nozzle? i myself have about 18". thats what he's talking about.

why did you used to? why not still?

CSIPSD

Reaction score
and how much line you got between the shunt and the nozzle? i myself have about 18". thats what he's talking about.

why did you used to? why not still?

I have about 6" of line. And I turn off the water injection well before I stop the truck.

Because I dont push the truck like I used to, I can not afford to build a motor, can not afford to blow a motor...

I dont care about HP anymore. The last motor and all its issues and fallout ruined it for me.:doh:

Urban Wheeler

Reaction score
i didnt get a valve in my kit, should i have? will the water leak through the pump when its not in use?

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
what kit did you get?

the valve we are talking about is in essence a check valve. it stops water from flowing through the line unless X amount of pressure is made to overcome the shunt. but any line between the shunt and the nozzles is able to drain through the nozzles.

i ran washer fluid the other day so it would turn the line blue and i could see it, and shut the truck off over night and just wanted to see if any drained. none did. i think his comment of draining was it could happen, not it will. those are awfully small holes to drain though, imo.

and yes, you need to get ahold of whoever made your kit, or whoever you bought it from, and get the valve.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
what kit did you get?

the valve we are talking about is in essence a check valve. it stops water from flowing through the line unless X amount of pressure is made to overcome the shunt. but any line between the shunt and the nozzles is able to drain through the nozzles.

i ran washer fluid the other day so it would turn the line blue and i could see it, and shut the truck off over night and just wanted to see if any drained. none did. i think his comment of draining was it could happen, not it will. those are awfully small holes to drain though, imo.

and yes, you need to get ahold of whoever made your kit, or whoever you bought it from, and get the valve.

Not correct. A Shunt valve is an electric solenoid. It will NOT allow water past unless it is open. If you do not have one and park nose down or the water gets hot you can water lock your motor...

Its very easy to install a water injection kit to where you will NEVER have issues with it.

thuglike

Reaction score
If you don't have the valve installed you can do 2 things.

1) install the nozzles in the cool side I/C pipe. There is a good pitch to the pipe that will allow any water to flow into your I/C and not the motor.

2) Install a switch. If you don't need the water simply turn the system off/on with a dash mounted switch.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
If I just want to use water to keep my EGTs down when playing around or at the track is a progressive system really needed? I mean they are nice but kits like the cooling mist one is a little outta my price range just didn't know if any of y'all could point me in the direction of a decent kit without breaking the bank...

907DAVE

Reaction score
If you don't have the valve installed you can do 2 things.

1) install the nozzles in the cool side I/C pipe. There is a good pitch to the pipe that will allow any water to flow into your I/C and not the motor.

2) Install a switch. If you don't need the water simply turn the system off/on with a dash mounted switch.

*** it.....

Because having a dash mounted "arming switch" allows water to defy gravity.