OEM SD fuel pump vs. Walbro GSL392

Tom S

Reaction score
In my opinion I would go with a new SD pump for the track record of reliabilty. If you are doing a fuel system conversion it is nice to get a Motorcraft Pump because it includes the mounting cage and isolators.

Tom

Last edited:

Peroni

Reaction score
I first built my system with a Walbro and it worked fine for 4yrs then died. Got two more and neither lasted more than 3000 miles :doh: :mad: I got a genuine Bosch SD pump and all is good again :thumbup:- go with the SD pump.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Walbro flows more and there's quite a few SDs that use them they fit in the exact same spot as the stocker. Just make sure its not a knockoff. Most guys that have problems with the walbros don't have a true walbro. Thers a big thread on the walbro on another site if u wanna do some more searching for it.

Peroni

Reaction score
All 3 of mine were genuine Walbro pumps. First one was great, must of had almost 40K on it before it started to howl. Maybe it just my crap luck the next two died, and both died suddenly with no warning or noise. But after changing out the last one laying in nasty snow in -6° temps I swore never again....

YoungFordAddict66

Reaction score
would it be to get your hands on a waldbro pump if one failed and had to replace it? Cause if a SD pump fails you can just go to Napa and get another one, piece of cake. Can you do that with waldbro?

Peroni

Reaction score
would it be to get your hands on a waldbro pump if one failed and had to replace it? Cause if a SD pump fails you can just go to Napa and get another one, piece of cake. Can you do that with waldbro?

Not if you're 1300 miles from home in Reedsburg WI towing an 18K trailer on a Fri afternoon you can't! A few places in Madison could get me one for Mon am but that wasn't much help at the time. Local Car Quest had plenty of SD pumps in stock though.

Bosh -44 is a nice pump!! I was going to get one to replace the Walbro but again if it goes out will any auto store stock it? Guess it depends on how far from civilization you will roam.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Makes sense but for cost and able to get a sd pump just about anywhere even a knockoff will get me home. I like a walbro. Depends on your mods and future mods in what level to get.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
I'm usually one for buying oem on things like this. My first pump lasted 242k when it went out I went to ford and bought oem, cost almost $500 and didn't last 5 months, it went out 2 days ago with only 13k on it, I swapped in one from a wrecked truck and all is well. Maybe I just had bad luck with mine, I guess quality ain't what it used to be.

DZL JIM

Reaction score
Another vote for Bosch 044 here. Nice pump, good name to back it up, and flows more than a Walbro.
Yes, it costs more, but it should last.
I have not had much luck with the Walbro pumps on my flow bench. I switched to Bosch/SD pumps and they work great and last.

If you're worried about fixing a break down, then get a cheap Walbro and make up fittings for it so you can swap it in if needed. Won't take up much room in your tool box.

G Racing

Reaction score
I have used some of the walbro pumps and all of them failed within a couple of months of being installed. Never again!!!!

JCart

Reaction score
Used SD pumps from the wreckers bought 2 one for spare on 96 truck is parked for parts now but excellent service from the one pump.

Sig truck 6.0 e-pump again bought 2 and carry 1 for spare.

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score
Used SD pumps from the wreckers bought 2 one for spare on 96 truck is parked for parts now but excellent service from the one pump.

Sig truck 6.0 e-pump again bought 2 and carry 1 for spare.

You should post up your 6.0 pump set up on here if you have not yet. If you need an easy way to do that let me know.

JCart

Reaction score
'K Tom,

I don't have a write up as I just followed what others have done in using all the stock lines where possible. For the pump I used the early 6.0 version with the internal heater element built in, it's all wired to the front of the truck just never hooked it up to the juice yet. I used an oil pressure sensor at the oil filter housing for the ground circuit (from the driver's - battery post). So with engine oil pressure pump comes on. Wanted to use a negative on the oil pressure because if the sensor ever goes out I can just by pass the sensor. The positive to pump is key activated.

I want to hook up the heater to the stock heater circuit, but not sure if it will work and have not made time to research, still on the growing list of to does.

Here are some pix that are stored in my sig link below in Red Truck folder.

Tom S

Reaction score
I am digging that Cat 1R-750 filter!!!! Do you also run a filter in the 6.0 housing