1972 F250 custom 12v swap help

Noonman350

Reaction score
Hey im lookin to swap mmy gas guzzling 390 out for a 12v i have sittin in an old truck of mine... I have looked on other forums and havent really found what im lookin for. how much work/ manhours/ money is to be involved?? also can i keep the stock rearend in it or will i have to go biggerr? thanks!

MAC

Reaction score
Takes a lot of work, and you need some fab skills, the one I saw done the guy had to cut and lower the cross member.

Is this truck 2wd or 4x4?

Dweber

Reaction score
Im in the middle of the same swap with a 79. I had to cut the front crossmember down 3/4 of the way and hammer in the firewall slightly. Other than that seems fairly simple. I ordered my motor mounts from fordcummins.com

Noonman350

Reaction score
Im in the middle of the same swap with a 79. I had to cut the front crossmember down 3/4 of the way and hammer in the firewall slightly. Other than that seems fairly simple. I ordered my motor mounts from fordcummins.com

what did you have to change out if anything? and by cut the crossmember down what do you mean? im a bit confused on that one. also is it a spendy process?

Dweber

Reaction score
Mine already has built axles since its my pulling truck.. depending on what your gonna do with it really depends on how built you need it.. you have to cut the thickness down on the crossmember to clear the oil pan

Dweber

Reaction score
Mine also has a 2" body lift and it def makes more room for when i pjt the tranny in.. im going with the dodge 5 speed. I think thats the best option. And money wise once you have the engine the only other big cost is the tranny and clutch. Motor mounts were 300

davey99ps

Reaction score
When i built my 76 fummins, I completely cut the front crossmember out an made a tube 1. This is the crossmember under the oil pan, you can either cut the factory 1 down about an inch or make a new 1. For mounts i also made my own because I didn't like the 1s that fordcummins offered. I ran my d60 rear without any problems. I also used the dodge trans an t-case to simplify the swap. Hope some of this helps

weazel

Reaction score
We just finished the swap on a 78, it takes a good bit of fabbing. If it is intercooled you will need to make a new intake elbow because it is routed into the brake master cylinder, the mounts are pretty easy to make use 3/16th steel. The stock rear end will work as long as you don't plan on making butt loads of power or pulling a heavy load. Are you using the stock trans or swapping in a dodge trans

Noonman350

Reaction score
The stock trans is a 4speed and I was thinking about just going with a dodge 6 speed... And will that rearend hold up to like let's say 400-450hp? Or should I swap out for a bigger rearend?

MAC

Reaction score
Get a 2wd trans and use the divorce t case under your truck, that way you can leave the axle stock and see if it will work (if it breaks or not)

weazel

Reaction score
Get a 2wd trans and use the divorce t case under your truck, that way you can leave the axle stock and see if it will work (if it breaks or not)

That's what we did, on a bonus if you do that all you need to have made is one little one. That rear end should be fine, and if not upgrade it as you break it

Noonman350

Reaction score
That's what we did, on a bonus if you do that all you need to have made is one little one. That rear end should be fine, and if not upgrade it as you break it

do you have any pics at all of the tranny? and also what exactly do you mean by " a little one? "... im just tryin to get all the info i can so that I do this right the first time. also how long would it take to build if you just went to town on it? by build i mean the whole truck...

weazel

Reaction score
The little one refers to the short driveshift in between the transmission, and the divorced transfer case.I don't have any pics, I'll see if I can get some when I see it next. Man hours wise probably 50-60 but that was just in fab work to mount the motor and wording everything up