2010 radio/gps into 2008

YoungFordAddict66

Reaction score
Im wondering if the radio/gps unti from a 2010 truck can be switched into a 2008 SD? My dad had heard that the 2010 truck uses a hard drive for the gps while the 2008 uses a cd to store the software for it. And hes looking to do this swap if he gets an 08 truck. Thanks guys

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I did this, radio and gps work great, and way better than 2008's equipment. Sync will work but it is a major job, finding a sync unit and pretty much making the wiring harness work with what you have. Big thread on it in .org. Mine is plug and play, the backup camera can be made to view on the units screen but has to be hooked up that way. My whole unit is up for sale as soon as my rig is back on the road and I can get my system installed.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
im completing my sync conversion after the weekend. lot of time,knowledge, and money involved. i think it will be worth it.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
im completing my sync conversion after the weekend. lot of time,knowledge, and money involved. i think it will be worth it.

Really? From what I know it is a real project and more than I wanted to tackle. If you get it all working I think it would be way cool. You have to fabricate/modify the harness to get it all to work?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Really? From what I know it is a real project and more than I wanted to tackle. If you get it all working I think it would be way cool. You have to fabricate/modify the harness to get it all to work?

you have no idea..lol i , for months, tracked down all required parts, sync amp, harness, unit, switches, plugs, etc.... and had a friend wire it all. it has been tested to work in another truck, then all shipped complete to me. i should have it saturday/monday then i will be rocking it. i already have the 08' nav with backup camera (mirror and radio views) and lockpick. BFT gets all that stuff.

YoungFordAddict66

Reaction score
you have no idea..lol i , for months, tracked down all required parts, sync amp, harness, unit, switches, plugs, etc.... and had a friend wire it all. it has been tested to work in another truck, then all shipped complete to me. i should have it saturday/monday then i will be rocking it. i already have the 08' nav with backup camera (mirror and radio views) and lockpick. BFT gets all that stuff.

Could i get a copy of that parts list? That could really help out in the future, thanks.

BCB

Reaction score
Would it not be better/ a lot easier to but a quality aftermarket head unit with GPS and sub in the truck?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
That's what most do, but it's not sync. I wanted the clean oem setup, but I do have sub and component speakers as well run thru a Jl cleansweep.

Erikclaw

Reaction score

That is why I never dove into it.....way more than I wanted to deal with. Plus didn't have knowledgeable people near me to lend a hand. I wish I had the radio view with the backup camera. Will have that soon with the aftermarket set up though. BFT will love that crap. LOL

How do you like the cleansweep? I was going to go that route too if I kept the stock head unit.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
That is why I never dove into it.....way more than I wanted to deal with. Plus didn't have knowledgeable people near me to lend a hand. I wish I had the radio view with the backup camera. Will have that soon with the aftermarket set up though. BFT will love that crap. LOL

How do you like the cleansweep? I was going to go that route too if I kept the stock head unit.

clean sweep is nice, takes a good amount of adjusting and still has a lil feedback when the volume is all the way down. the sync project is a big one, thank god i found this guy steve from the org. he basically did it all. im still into the entire setup about $1500. he sends the setup with directions and labeling, basically dummy proof.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
i have all my sync stuff here, it will be done saturday. werd!