Anyone having issues making 65 PSI with an Airdog II?

UNLIMITED_DIESEL

Reaction score
Just like the title says..... Anyone, besides me?

We have done several installs of this system with our regulates return and in tank mods. We have NEVER had a problem until last week. We had a customer come in that had installed the unit himself and it wouldn't build over 50 PSI. He is running it in conjunction with an ITP regulated return. We tries everything Airdog suggested and still won't build over 50PSI. We have even swapped it with another unit they supplied. Airdog told me that they did change the Georotor design, but that the change should have increased flow....

I am lost. I have no idea where to go from here. We have done everything they wanted and now they (Airdog) have nothing further to recommend.... Basically, they keep arguing the fact that it makes 50 PSI as stated on their website.

I have done several other pump installs with no issues, and we were happy with the performance of the pump, but this is kinda making me wonder if we need to go another direction. I hate to do it, because I love the easy install of the unit and the compact (all-in-one design) but if we don't get anywhere with this we will have no other choice. I just wandering if anyone else is having the same issues?

Big Bore

Reaction score
Regulator problem?

Also, did the customer do the in tank mods? Could be a clogged pickup or whatever that crap is in the tank that we all throw away.

Last edited:

cumminskiller

Reaction score
I might be having the same issue? Last friday we were all going to the track and i thought i might crank up the pressure a bit. Since the install i have been running 60psi and never fooled with it since...but went to turn it up and now i can bearly get 63psi with it turned all the way? But im still running both tanks and a selector valve. I havent had a chance to mess with it yet but im kinda curious:confused:

PsRumors

Reaction score
Have you looked into the regulated return regulator?

Someone had posted on PSN about a problem with their AD or Fass but it turned out to be a bad regulator in the regulated return system.

TARM

Reaction score
My guess would be the regulator. Have you tried swapping in a dif pump that has proven to hold pressure. If the reg is badand only holding to 50 then until you overwel the return lines psi is going no where.

Does the pressure ever drop below 50psi on the wot runs or does it hold rock steady just will not go above it?

You could swap out the regulator and see if that changes anything and that would be quick to do.

As the ad has its own regulation put a gauge on the fuel line and csp.the end of the fuel line creating a dead end. That should show what the pressure that ad by itself can produce. It can also be done off the truck. Some aligator clips to the bat and a bucket of diesel fuel.

UNLIMITED_DIESEL

Reaction score
I dead headed the pump with a gauge and sucked from a clean bucket of fuel with a half inch hose..... I don't think it's a pickup or regulator issue. We pretty much tried all that first. I even took regulator springs out of my Personal Airdog that was making 90+ PSi deadheaded, installed them in the customers truck and still only made 60 PSI with the Airdog regulator cranked all the way in.

I don't want to run the system with the regulator buried. They act like there is nothing wrong with the pump and that we are just expecting too much out of it. All I want is a pump that does exactly what all the others have done. 80 PSI deadheaded and then run it to a regulated return at 65 PSI. And when it is set at 80 deadheaded it shouldn't have the regulator cranked all the way in..... I have done it this way several times. I don't know what has changed, but we have had two pumps do the same thing. There has to be a solution. I wouldn't be so frustrated, but I know that there is something not right with this setup, and they don't seem to excited about helping us figure it out. I mean, sure they will send out parts and pumps to swap out, but there is no real technical aupport past that. I want someone to put together a pump and flow test it and make sure that it builds pressure before we get it. That is what I requested once already, with no luck.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
Yeh sounds like whatever they did in the redesign must have lowered its peak pressure ability. That sucks as if that is the case the only realnway to use the AD is as a low psi lift pump to a high psi primary and there goes the one thing that was helpful in having a all in one unit.

golfer

Reaction score
Seen this many times on trucks that roll into the shop for a mild injector upgrade...you cant make a high volume low pressure pump a high volume high pressure pump by turning a screw... If the pump tolerances aren't tight enough to build the pressure...well...you know the rest (think how much volume a $100 sump pump flows through a 2" line...but it wouldn't make chit for pressure with any restriction on the outlet line)

...and I'm not sure what kind of pressure they(AD & Fass) are running when they rate the volume...but since you have the perfect truck to test this on...get out your stop watch and see how fast you can fill a 5 gallon bucket AT x psi... And do some calcs to see if it is a 165GPH pump AT 50 psi or 60 or 65 or 35 etc...you'll be surprised st the tremendous drop in volume when the pressure is turned up...much

At one time when air dog & fass each had over 20 different "fuel systems" for 7.3's...and nary a one of them had a regulated return (through the heads)...I pretty much turned my brain off to what they had for the Fords...and went right back to the Aeromotive/FueLab method.

It would be nice if they would figure something out...as we install a chit load of them on the Cummins' every week...but they do have an occasional issue related maintaining pressure LOL even at the minuscule pressures the dodges run.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
Only complaint I have is noise.

But I used the AD2 as the pump in a fuel system instead of using their parts to connect to the factory lines. ITP style pickup, 1/2 to the pump, 1/2 to the engine, with an ITP RR. And I also turned the pump to max and used the regulator on the engine to set pressure.

It's holding 62, just sounds like hell.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Seen this many times on trucks that roll into the shop for a mild injector upgrade...you cant make a high volume low pressure pump a high volume high pressure pump by turning a screw... If the pump tolerances aren't tight enough to build the pressure...well...you know the rest (think how much volume a $100 sump pump flows through a 2" line...but it wouldn't make chit for pressure with any restriction on the outlet line)

...and I'm not sure what kind of pressure they(AD & Fass) are running when they rate the volume...but since you have the perfect truck to test this on...get out your stop watch and see how fast you can fill a 5 gallon bucket AT x psi... And do some calcs to see if it is a 165GPH pump AT 50 psi or 60 or 65 or 35 etc...you'll be surprised st the tremendous drop in volume when the pressure is turned up...much

At one time when air dog & fass each had over 20 different "fuel systems" for 7.3's...and nary a one of them had a regulated return (through the heads)...I pretty much turned my brain off to what they had for the Fords...and went right back to the Aeromotive/FueLab method.

It would be nice if they would figure something out...as we install a chit load of them on the Cummins' every week...but they do have an occasional issue related maintaining pressure LOL even at the minuscule pressures the dodges run.

Dave. I think you saw my issue with AD2 first hand. Full fuel system with regulated return and a sump. 300/200s..WOT pressure dropped to 40 or less. AirDog told me to put a Raptor pump with it. FASS would hold the pressure up until it laid down on me 3 times....

Dieselcraft

Reaction score

But I used the AD2 as the pump in a fuel system instead of using their parts to connect to the factory lines. ITP style pickup, 1/2 to the pump, 1/2 to the engine, with an ITP RR. And I also turned the pump to max and used the regulator on the engine to set pressure.

:whs:

Mine holds 63psi it's a loud sucker. I'm runing a sump in my tank I think that helps. I hope I don't run into any problems tho. Knock on wood

UNLIMITED_DIESEL

Reaction score

With your pump holding 62 PSI, is the regulator on the engine buried also or would it make more pressure if you asked for it?

UNLIMITED_DIESEL

Reaction score

Thanks for the input Dave! I think you may be on to something with the tolerances... They told me that the new design was tighter, I'm wondering if it's not the exact opposite.

I will try to get some time today and do the exact test you stated.

Chvyrkr

Reaction score
With your pump holding 62 PSI, is the regulator on the engine buried also or would it make more pressure if you asked for it?

No the regulator has room left to go, I don't know how much pressure is left in the pump, but there's more in it.

I think I'd be worried about the pump lasting if I asked much more from it though. Were y'all gettin quite a bit of noise above 60 outa these?

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
A lot of these pumps are crazy loud including the fuelabs depending on your luck of the draw. Ihad a FASS 150 with a supposed 180gph pump given to me. A brand new pump from FASS is going on it and I think I will test it to see exactly what it really flows. I have a hard time seeing 180gph even @ 30-50psi let alone 65-70. I will be happy if it can flow half of that @ 65-70psi. If not it wil be turned down to 10psi and I will put the fuelab infront of it once it gets fixed. Hopefully that will alsocut done on total noise and most importantly the reliabilty of both of these pumps. That or I am switching to a belt or mech drive like many of the cummin and durmacs are using.

ford_trck

Reaction score
I've had the same problem a while ago and it ended up my battery voltage was getting low on one of the batteries. Otherwise I've never had a problem except for trying to keep a psi gauge alive on the engine.

PsRumors

Reaction score
I've had the same problem a while ago and it ended up my battery voltage was getting low on one of the batteries. Otherwise I've never had a problem except for trying to keep a psi gauge alive on the engine.

VERY good point.....now that you mention it when I was installing my system and double checking everything (looking for leaks) I started noticing the pressure flucuating...turned out I had ran down my batteries. :doh: