Tell me about owning a diesel in NJ

Shootingstar

Reaction score
I currently live in ok. However my wife is interviewing for a job in NJ so I maybe relocating.
Problem is my 08 has been tuned and deleted DPF, and EGR. So can I bring my truck up there? Do you all have inspections?
Give me the 411!

I*C*B*M

Reaction score
I know there are quite a few guys running deletes in NJ. I know gassers get the sniffer though, so who knows what the future holds. Otherwise, you could always sell the wife, and keep the truck!:D

Last edited:

Shootingstar

Reaction score
Thought about that! But she is my sugar momma. I stopped bending wrenches 12 years ago so she could work and travel. So I'm a full time dad with lots of toys. This is my current shop and my truck getting some tweaks.
4cdcf60f-1aa6-aa86.jpg

So I think I'll keep her. Plus she kinda cute!

rat49f6

Reaction score
Register the truck for 10,001 pound and ur fine...no inspection at all

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

mint-6oh

Reaction score
Goes by the gvw on the sticker in door jamb. 10001-17999lbs is self inspect. Legally your suppose to have all the emisions stuff on the truck but no one checks.

dirtflinger92

Reaction score
Thought about that! But she is my sugar momma. I stopped bending wrenches 12 years ago so she could work and travel. So I'm a full time dad with lots of toys. This is my current shop and my truck getting some tweaks.
4cdcf60f-1aa6-aa86.jpg

So I think I'll keep her. Plus she kinda cute!

Hell you got it made my friend!

rat49f6

Reaction score
gvw on the door tag will limit how much you can carry but you can register it for anything you want
legally you may not carry anymore than door tag amount but you dont need emissions or safety inspections for vehicles registered between 10k and 16,999 gvw

mint-6oh

Reaction score
They go by what the gvw is on the door sticker not registered weight. I know lots of people with trucks registered under 10000lbs and when they went to inspection station they looked at sticker in door jamb not the registration.

rat49f6

Reaction score
My family business, is a excavation company and deal with dot often

Inspection is based on your registered weight

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

mint-6oh

Reaction score
I guess I imagined it when I went to the inspection station and they looked at the door sticker and didnt even want to see the registration. I know for a fact people with trucks registered at 7000 lbs went to state inspection station and were told it was self inspect based on the gvw on door jamb sticker. Maybe commercial is different but non commercial vehicles go off the door sticker.

mint-6oh

Reaction score
coppied from nj dmv website

Diesel-powered trucks plated as commercial, passenger, not-for-profit, governmental, commuter van, farmer or farm truck with a GVWR of 10,000 to 17,999 pounds (self-inspected under NJAC 13:20-26.16).

"Gross vehicle weight rating" or "GVWR" means the value specifiedby the manufacturer as the maximum loaded weight of a single or combination(articulated)vehicle.

rat49f6

Reaction score
well then i imagined it when getting stopped and didnt need a inspection in a f 250 with a door tag stating 8800 gvwr

its all up to the cop i guess

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
I had my Dodge 2500 registered at 10,001 for years and never had an issue. You'll be fine up here with your truck.

Side note, I used to live in Montville and live in the next town over now. What kind of job is the wife interviewing for?

bigbeanOBS

Reaction score
yeah dude youll be fine just register for 10,001 so its all self inspection u moving to nort nj or sout nj hit me up if ur in south nj

Silver2010

Reaction score
Mine is deleted and tuned, been pulled over many times for various reasons and never questioned about it. My truck is also self inspected.

molonlabe27

Reaction score
as of Feb 2012.... all diesels over 8500 lbs do not need to be inspected. "Self-Inspections" should be done daily ( check to make sure your lights are working and ****). Kind of like a PMCS. Oh and keep all recepts of "modifications". I got to the inspection station and the guy outside said I don't need to get my truck inspected. "Aight, see you later!"