Airplane project inside

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Ok guys, I've been taking an interest in flying lately and I really want to build a plane. I see they have a lot of kits out that don't look to terribly bad and labor intensive. Just looking for some pointers or advice from anybody with experience or info. Just looking for a cruiser to enjoy on the weekend. Engine specs I'm not 100% firm on but I was highly considering dropping a 7.3 into it to be different. Could be a cool project. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks fellas

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Maybe even a roller would be better. I found a Cessna 172 with a quick search

Cessna172_e2_e.jpg

extreme3807

Reaction score
My family and myself deal in buying and selling planes, primarily cessena's,etc. What kind of price range are you looking at?

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
My family and myself deal in buying and selling planes, primarily cessena's,etc. What kind of price range are you looking at?

Well, I'll probably have 30k into getting another built 7.3 for this project so a air worthy roller that doesn't break the bank would be preferable.... not really even sure what they go for

JDub

Reaction score
The right power combination on that 7.3 motor would make for a very nice power band, might take a little to dial in the tuning, but would be cool to have the ability to turn a chip up to increase power as you rise in elevation... Let us know if we can contribute to the build.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
The right power combination on that 7.3 motor would make for a very nice power band, might take a little to dial in the tuning, but would be cool to have the ability to turn a chip up to increase power as you rise in elevation... Let us know if we can contribute to the build.

Never even thought of that. Good point!

ChattyCathy

Reaction score

Turn the nitrous on and **** up some dura max plane. Probably want to avoid cold weather Steve sure would suck if your glow plugs went and you couldnt get her started. CPS might be a little scary at 20,000 feet.

Strictly Diesel

Reaction score
Just carry a spare CPS and put the engine behind the passenger seat so you can change it while "gliding". It's a quick job.

Mpoage

Reaction score
As awesome as it would be to see a 7.3 or any diesel for that matter in a plane I don't think it would work because your increasing the weight of the nose 2 or 3 times. A new Cessna grand caravans motor produces 650 bhp but only weighs 300-450 pounds. I'm not trying to talk down or say its never gonna happen I'm just pointing out some of the hurdles that would have to be overcome and providing some input.

But if your looking for a good starter plane to learn in a 172 would be perfect. Thats what my dad started out with.