45 Gal Rear tank Install/Writeup

JDNeis

Reaction score
Well I said I would try making a writeup for this install, so I figured I would start the thread off now and build on it as it goes. I will be tackling this install on Saturday and hopefully will have the writeup completed w/ pics a couple days afterward.

Oh and just to get the "excitement" started LOL, I took a picture of the tank after I unwrapped it from its packing tonight.:thumbup:

rear tank.JPG

97Beast

Reaction score
Good Lawd!!!LOL

Thats a biggin! Good luck with the install. Should be pretty sweet. How much range do you think you'll have now with both tanks? Maybe 800-900 or maybe even 1000 miles between fill ups!

JDNeis

Reaction score
With my math right now. Depending on how much lead I have in my foot between fill ups. I should be able to get between 800 to 1000. Possibly even more if I feel frisky and decided to do the vent mod on my front tank while I am under there so I can fill that on to the brim to. :thumbup:

1996 Scorpion

Reaction score
Very nice I like the looks of that tank where did you get it? That thing full probably adds almost 300 pounds not including the tank haha

Strokersace

Reaction score
Want to see how this goes as well. I installed the 38 gal tank in mine last year. This looks ALOT heavier than it.

JDNeis

Reaction score
Is this the tank CP sells?

I bought this tank from Aerotanks.com.

So I got the install done. Didn't really get to take any photos, I was in a bit of a time crunch to get it done. I do the work on my truck at the auto hobby shop on base and they are only open till 5 so I had to focus on getting it in instead of stopping to take pics. I will however take some pics of it mounted up under the truck this weekend when I get back under there to tie up some loose ends. found out after I filled it up that my sending unit is leaking from the gasket. So I have to drop it again and real seal it.

The $250 it cost me to fill up sure did hurt. LOL. but I am looking forward getting at least 1000 miles in between fill ups.

Other than that the install was pretty straight forward and simple. The hardest part IMO was dropping the old tank because it is a pain in the ass to get in there and disconnect the fuel lines. I ended up just cutting the soft lines where they meet the steel lines that run along the frame and hooking up the lines on the new tank straight to the steel lines. In the future when I get my E-fuel system pieced together Im going to redo the fuel lines from front to back.

Next on the list is to fab up a skid plate to mount underneath the tank that I can bolt up to where the spare tire hanger mounted to.

But all in all I think it would have been 10x easier to get it done if I had pulled the bed. But I didnt have the man power to get that done. Anyways some pics to come later this week.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Jared:thumbup:

Tom S

Reaction score
Interesting that you have an issue with the leaking. That was one the same problems I had on a tank from Aero quite a ways back on a Cherokee. I ended up taking the tank off and returning it to them. The Ford or IH grey silcone might work to fix your leak being it is diesel fuel.

JDNeis

Reaction score
Interesting that you have an issue with the leaking. That was one the same problems I had on a tank from Aero quite a ways back on a Cherokee. I ended up taking the tank off and returning it to them. The Ford or IH grey silcone might work to fix your leak being it is diesel fuel.

I'm pretty sure it is leaking because I lost the bolts for the sending unit before I installed it, and bought some replacements from Napa. So I think they might be to long, Hopefully it wont take me to long to drop to fix the issue since all I will have to do is just throw the jack underneath her and lower her down till i can have enough room to get to the sending unit. I will definitely try the silicone though.

John@Outlaw_Diesel

Reaction score
How much did that tank cost? Did it come with its on gauge? Can u also get the dimensions of the tank. I'm curious to see if it will fit with my dmi cushion hitch. I doubt it, but it would be sweet!

JDNeis

Reaction score
How much did that tank cost? Did it come with its on gauge? Can u also get the dimensions of the tank. I'm curious to see if it will fit with my dmi cushion hitch. I doubt it, but it would be sweet!

Tank cost me 546 with the sending unit and lines included, and that includes tax and shipping to my house, price will be different based on where it get shipped to.

It didn't come with its own gauge, I just cut the wiring off the send unit on my old tank and hooked it into this one so that it runs off of my stock gauge.

Ill try to get you some dimensions for it this weekend.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Yes the Stock rear tank is tossed, this replaces the whole setup. And for anyone who feels really frisky and wants a lot more fuel capacity I am pretty sure the place I got the tank from also makes a 40 gal replacement for the front tank too.
I meant spare tire, but I guess I forgot to type the word tire :doh:

Strokersace

Reaction score
Wish they had some pics of that 40 gal front tank on their website. I'm gonna try and retrofit a 38 gal SD tank in mine at some point. Just need to fab up some new mounting straps is all.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
AH! LOL. Yeah my spare tire now resides in my bed. But I wouldnt doubt that you could do some modification to the rods to extended them so that yer spare tire could still hang below the tank
I have dual exhaust on mine so I need to come up with a different way to mount the spare anyway. How much lower does this tank hang than the stock one? I'd hate to put a spare under this tank and have it hanging way down under the truck.

Latest posts

Members online