Blowin Boots

juniort444e

Reaction score
Ok, so now that i figured out the problem and learning more about this setup, i need to find a more permanent solution to blowing my boots every time i want to get into the go pedal harder.

So im and asking the pro's, who's boots do you recommend and should i use rtv or just double up the clamps. I didnt look to see if riffraff was a site sponser, but they are whom im looking at right now to buy stuff from.

I will definitely be buying their pleneum inserts. Any advise on who to go with or other places priced around the same for good boots.

One more thing, i want to go with longer boots on the plenuems so i can put more clamps on them. Those are the ones giving me a headach.

DcMoore

Reaction score
From what I hear diesel site's boots are hard to get off, if your trying to get them off your self. So I doubt there would be a problem there..

DO Not use rtv. Have you taken all your boots off and cleaned them? Have you tried using hair spray yet?

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Diesel site boots are very good. If u still have problems u can either weld bungs on both sides of the bots and bolt a bar between them to hold them together. Or iif u or someone u knoow is VERY good with a welder, weld a bead around the pipe just before where u would put the clamps.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
I run dieselsite boots and those along with hairspray are not going anywhere on my setup, now I'm not sure what kinda boost you are making but those amd some good clamps and you shouldn't have a problem

patrickke

Reaction score
I run clays (riff raff) boots on my truck and love them... i believe his are the best out of the ones i have tried

Tom S

Reaction score
What boot are you blowing off. Is there a bead on there to help retain the clamp and boot. Are the boots 100% clean and not oily?

juniort444e

Reaction score
I soaked the boots for about an hour in realllllllly soapy dish detergent.

The boots will either blow off from the pleneum itself or the new intake spider that does have a bead rolled in it from irate diesel.

Some how tho, every time i pull a boot off to retighten or anything, there is a ton of oil. I dont know if its coming from the intercooler from being filled with ccv stuff or what. I do clean it every time though.

I do plan on either running two clamps per side, or what cfdeng7 said about welding a bung inbetween the single clamps to hold them in place.

I will be ordering the pieces from riff raff, inserts to help clamp down harder.

Just trying to get some more opinions on whos boots seem to be a little better. They are priced the same. But i can order singles from RR. Might go that route. But we will see.

JDub

Reaction score
The Hypermax y has a strap that bolts to the back of it and to the valley of the engine block. Helps hold it down on the plenums.

Ran standard 3-ply boots with t-bolt clamps and the Hypermax Y on the WOP Race Truck, held over 100-psi boost for quite a few years with absolutely no blown boot problems.

Arisley

Reaction score
I am running Bob's (Dieselsite's) boots. I installed them with hairspray. With close to 60 lbs. of boost. I bet I could completely remove the clamps and still not blow a boot. When I had to remove one, I thought I was going to have to just cut it off with a razor knife, it was stuck on there so tight.

TARM

Reaction score
Other than the boot issue I am wondering what is going on with you finding a ton of oil inside the boots after repeatedly cleaning it all up? Might want to pull the cooler and flush it with hot soapy water and or degreaser. That will eliminate it as a cause. Hopefully that will stop the oily mess. If not you might want to find the cause as all you have left is the turbo if the ccv is to atmosphere.

CGMKCM

Reaction score
It sounds like your plenums are out of round from over tightening the clamps. Add in the CCV oil and it will be next to impossible to keep the boots from blowing off.

I ordered the inserts, boots, and clamps from RR. Cleaned everything up assembled and ran the CCV to atmosphere. I have had no problem blowing boots since I did the work 18 months ago. The boots were a PIA to install with the H2e intake. I ended up trimming off 1/2" from the boots.

Good luck.

03-Blue-Powerstroke

Reaction score
I have a 6 leaker but, I have diesel site boots double clamped and they will not blow apart. I also have one of the connections held together with a metal strap.

juniort444e

Reaction score
Ok, well i ordered two boots, inserts and 4 ss t bolt straps so i can double them up. I will probably even connect the inside or closest ones togther just to be safe anyway. That should solve the problem. If not im welding the spider to the plenums and calling a quits.

Tom S

Reaction score
I would be using some brake cleaner on those boots instead of just soapy water.

juniort444e

Reaction score
I thought about that. Was hoping the soap was good enough. I did use some acytone once but didnt get good results.

I tryed hair spray with no luck, maybe i was too impatient, and the last time i use adhesive promoter and spray glue stuff. That stuff is sticky but that side didnt blow again.

This time im trying what i ordered and if that wont work, which i betting will, im going to stick some damn glue on it, let it dry for some time and see what happens.

TARM

Reaction score
If you clean out the oil and vent ccv to atmosphere you can hit up napa and cut some big rig radiator hose to whatever length you want. I am using that for a couple of connections and I can tell ya its not going anywhere. You can make it long enough to double clam and have plenty of surface area for extra friction. If when the couple factory boots blow I will change them out to this as well. Cheap easy to get and cut to whatever length you want.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Really as tarm said you should flush the intercooler. It isn't that difficult to remove. I did hot soaks and rinses with degreaser and water. Worked well for me.

Members online

No members online now.